New Live-Produced Track and Greetings Everyone

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
toneburst

New Live-Produced Track and Greetings Everyone

Post by toneburst » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:22 pm

Hi Guys,

I've just signed up to this forum, and thought I'd say 'hi' to you all, and invite comments on my first track produced entirely in Ableton Live 4.

It a break-beat style track, featuring lots of samples of around the theme of the voice and vocal synthesis (an interest of mine from way back). Style-wise think recent Jack Dangers/Meat Beat manifesto stuff. I'm also told there's hints of Future Sound of London in there too, and maybe smidgen of Art of Noise as a topping.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, and has time, I'd be really grateful if you could give me some feedback on it.

It's the 1st track on my website
http://www.toneburst.net/

Feel free to have a listen to some of the other stuff there if U want too..

:-)

regards,

alx

mosca

Post by mosca » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:24 pm

not bad, not my style really.

nice and loud tho

mo

toneburst

Post by toneburst » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:30 pm

Hi mosca,

thanks for your reply. That was quick!

When I said 'produced entirely in Live', I may have been overstating the case a little.
I mastered it in BIAS Peak, using a chain of Waves plugins- hence the loudness!

Most of the synthy sounds are custom-made sequenced patches on a Nord Modular, for the record.

Cheers again.
Good to get such a rapid response!!!

alx

amo

Post by amo » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:32 pm

Toneburst, welcome onbord :wink:

I personnaly love your tune ! makes me smile a lot, sounds great (musically, cause I'm listening to it on a shity system), fresh to my ear.

Thanks for posting, and may your contribution be great here !

Regards,

amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:35 pm

I love the percussion of the track, but I have two critiques that are more stylistic than anything else:

1. The mastering sounds too loud - it's fuzzy. If that's how you wanted it, then you did a good job. If how just wanted it loud then you overshot it, and it sounds unclean.

2. The song has a thin midrange. This is fairly stylistic - I like to have more body in my songs with more stuff going on in the middle.

Again, these are stylistic, so take em or leave em :)

If you want to hear one of my latest, check out http://fiberlineaudio.com/label/modules ... 44cc5ed640

telekom

Post by telekom » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:42 pm

Hey toneburst,
Welcome aboard... yeh it's a good tune, makes me think of boards of canada a bit. I'd love it if sombody listened to one of my tunes and said that ! Well done, you must have 'got' Live straight away if this is what comes out of your first attempts.

Hope you enjoy the forum. You really should ask some daft newbie questions in your first few posts so that all the grumps can flame you - you've really confused everybody !!!

:)

seeya
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

toneburst

Post by toneburst » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:50 pm

Thanks amo and nebulae for your comments. Very encouraging!

nebulae, it's great to get specifics like this.
I think your points may are valid. I work mainly on headphones, which I know is not sonically ideal, but unfortunately I have little choice most of the time. Does make it hard to get a good accurate idea of what doing though.

I was trying to go for quite an aggressive sound with this track, despite the relatively slow tempo, but I might well have overdone the limiting at the mastering stage. It's also true that there isn't any sort of constant sound 'padding out' the midrange in the track, which I guess was a conscious choice, though there are periodic chunks of choral sounds. It's a criticism a couple of people have levelled at my tracks before, so you're probably right there.

Anyway, thanks again for your comments guys,

alx

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:07 pm

Well, it's just stylistic choices. Let me respond to your comments:

1. Headphones - I still trust my AKG 240 headphones over most monitors because I begain producing in those from 15 years ago, so I really trust them. They're about $80 at Guitar Center, and WELL worth it. You should try to use some monitors because there's nothing quite like air moving around in sound, and that's how most people hear music, but it's tricky, with room treatments and getting good monitors and all. But if you stick with headpones, try those AKGs and combine your mastering with that, your car stereo, some cheap-ass boombox, and a really nice home theatre and balance you recordings accordingly.

2. As for agressive mixing, a technique I use is distortion on the drums...really makes them meaty and angry. Some people have used Amplitube or other guitar pedals to get mean sounds out of drums. I'd keep the "agression" out of the mastering process. Use a good limiter like Elephant to get it loud and bring out the details, but keep the agression on individual tracks in the mix.

3. Midrange - again, totally stylistic. You don't need to have pads or other "mid-range-like" noises. Just pump up the 500-5000hz range of your snares, percs, and hats to get midrange out of your overall track. In this one, you don't need more than 2-3db of increase in the midrange to get that meaty sound. That plus some gentle distortion, and you get a mean-ass track.

Hope that helps. Again, these are all stylistic preferences - use or abuse at will :)

toneburst

Post by toneburst » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:30 pm

that's all good advice nebulae!

I've been making music for about 10 years now, but for most of that time I was using a very basic setup, so it's only relatively recently that I've had the option to even do something as basic as adding EQ to individual channels!!!

I've been messing around with PSP's Vintage Warmer plugin a bit recently. I actually did a version of this track with VW on the drums, which definitely made them sound more aggressive! I'll try putting it back on again, and tweaking the settings a little.

As for the monitors- I do have a pair of Spirit Absolute 2's, hooked up to an Alesis RA-150 power-amp. Unfortunately, however, I live in a flat, and it's not really fair on my neighbours to turn them up as far as I'd like. I also have my gear in a very small room, which would be very hard to treat acoustically, due to the amount of stuff in it (general stuff, not just music gear).

I'll bear your recommendations on headphones in mind. I've been thinging of upgrading anyway, as my Sennheiser's aren't really well suited to prolonged use.

Cheers again,

alx

toneburst

Post by toneburst » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:34 pm

hi telekom,

thanks for your encouraging comments!!!
I'm a big fan of BOC's last 'proper' album Geogaddi, though I haven't listened to it for a while. 1969 is a cracker though!!!

Love their wobbly synths...

Cheers,

alx

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:35 pm

Totally understand about the neighbor thing.

As for treating the room, you just need some bass traps and some foam to kill all perpendicular angles in the room and diffuse sound in parallell walls. It's not as good as a studio, but it'll get you far enough along.

As for Vintage Warmer, that's a very good plug for overall warming. I havent had much success with it for aggressive distorting, but then again, I was just demoing :)

Good luck and keep up the good work. Listen to my track and let me know what you think.

toneburst

Post by toneburst » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:39 pm

PS

telekom, I did post the one about the M-Audio Trigger Finger, which apparently has been extensively discussed before, so I'm keeping up the tradition of clueless newbie posts at least on a small way.

I've actually been messing around with Live for a couple of years, on and off, and even did a short Live live set once (if you see what I mean). I never got into the arrange view though, and really haven't used it as a compositional tool in it's own right before. It's a great program though, and I think I'll be using it more in the future, along with Logic and Numerology.

alx

anarchicluv

Post by anarchicluv » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:55 pm

I rather enjoyed the track Toneburst! I wish I could give you better feedback, but I'm at work and I'm hearing the track on some really shitty speakers, so it wouldn't do me any good to try and critique it.

telekom

Post by telekom » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:58 pm

Hi tone,
Regarding another post above about treating your studio space there's a good section on the sound on sound forum all about home studio design...

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/postl ... ed&sb=5&o=

Some of the guys are real experts but it does get a bit "my acoustic foam is bigger than yours" sometimes... I also have a tiny room for my music gear and I found it useful to take a bit of advice from the folks there (even tho none of em could believe I was using a such a small room...)

Hey your triggerfinger post was nothing on some of the newbie comments. The one that gets people really angry is "can Live do Timestretching?" harhar :)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:59 pm

woah! ToneBurst, that track is excellent! I love the complexity of details in there. I'm a big fan of the crunchy master, and to me the mid-range works well - it's not as consistent as the highs and lows, but rather pops out with the delayed stabs and all - bit like carving space in a mix for vocals, which is always a good idea!

hmm, if there's anything worth mentioning, it would be that I find the vocal sample shows up slightly too many times, but that's another stylistic choice.
Andreas / Machinate
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.