All times are UTC

Post subject: MPK Mini 2 to Rock Band 3
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:54 pm 

Hello all!

I am new to Ableton Live, and I have to say it is a lot of fun to tinker with! While I did read the guidelines, this is my first time in the forums so please be patient with me. If I've posted this in the wrong section, or if this content is not appropriate for these forums, or if this information has already been covered and I simply missed it, I would be happy to move/remove my inquiry.

I am looking for a way to use an external Midi synth with the game Rock Band 3 on PS3. Harmonix (the game developer) made a 5-pin DIN (female) to USB (male) dongle so one can use their own MIDI instruments in the game (keyboards, e-kits and midi-guitars). Unfortunately the game's software does not synthesize any audio from the MIDI information, and instead uses an optional gating of the split track audio to cut the sound of the "keys" (or other instrument) when you miss a note. Functionally, this works. Ideally though, I would like to use Ableton to hear the notes one is actually playing and control the tone of the instrument.

I am able connect my Midi controller to Ableton and use it to make music, and I have a Roland USB (male) to DIN (male) and can connect the PC to the Harmonix dongle, I'm just not sure how to ask Ableton to duplicate the MIDI info from my controller and send it down my Roland cable to the PC. I've been fiddling with it for a few days, and I did find this https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209774265-Using-external-hardware but I'm still pretty novice with the software and I wasn't able to... well, understand most of it. After quite a bit more frustration, I opted to suck up my pride and ask for a bit of help!

I can attach pictures and/or links to any and all of the hardware if that would help, but I have a feeling the functionality I'm looking for isn't that difficult to set up. With any luck, I just need to talk to somebody who has been talking the Ableton language a bit longer than me!! Thank you for your time and for any help you may have to offer.

Regards, Agent Rhythm