Browser favorites loading time?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mountwest

Browser favorites loading time?

Post by mountwest » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:07 pm

I've had this issue since I bought Live 10 and wants to know if anyone else have the same experience.

Everytime I start the Ableton application and click on any of my stored favorites, it take a considerable amount of time to load the list of what I have stored with that specific tag. After I have waited for the samples/plugins to show up in the list, I can then open the same favorite tag with a much shorter loading time, but it is still not instantaneous.

This is a great feature in the new version, but if there are extended waiting times for when I want to access my favorite plugins and samples, then it sort of defeats the purpose of having it.

jestermgee

Re: Browser favorites loading time?

Post by jestermgee » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:06 pm

What do you consider "A considerable amount of time"?
What are your computer specs (CPU speed, age, ram etc...)?
How big is your library of files?
Do you run your Live library and samples off SSD?
Are they on a single drive or multiple drives?

Lots of gaps in your details.

The browser will never be instant and of course the larger your library, the more scattered your files and if you run this on a Commodore64 then things may take some time. Keep the number of paths you add to Live to a minimum and never include the root of your operating system drive (or any drive) as this will create issues.

mountwest

Re: Browser favorites loading time?

Post by mountwest » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:09 am

I just counted 8 seconds.

Windows 64-bit, 3.1 GHz cpu, 8 GB ram, 2 years of age, loading data from my internal HDD.

What's even more odd is that this only concerns the stuff that's inside of my favorites collections, and my collections are not massive, max 20 in each category. All other collections in the browser seems to be loading the folders and files from some cache, since they appear instantaneous.

I would think the way "favourites" work is that Ableton saves a cached collection of these and thus display them in the same way, but perhaps it just saves the pathway to each tagged file and load them in when you click on the collection in your browser.