Heaphone/monitor controller question, halp!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TLW

Re: Heaphone/monitor controller question, halp!

Post by TLW » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:48 am

Sebastian wrote:. My laptop screen blocks my access to the RME headphone knob and moving things around would alter my work flow bc, my arms reach for this and that. I have mics and guitars within quick grabbing distance to where Im sitting.
I hardly ever touch the hardware controls on my RME UFX, as far as I’m concerned the only hardware controller I need access to is the on/off switch.

Everything else I do through RME’s Totalmix software mixer. It loads automatically when the interface is switched on and gives fast access to everything the UFX does, Change volumes, link channels into stereo or split them into mono, route audio between inputs and outputs, eq/compression/reverb, switch between sets kf monitors, headphones.... Totalmix handles everything. And the software gives finer control than the encoders as well.

Give it a try, you might find you don’t need add-on hardware at all.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:42 pm

TLW wrote:Everything else I do through RME’s Totalmix software mixer. It loads automatically when the interface is switched on and gives fast access to everything the UFX does, Change volumes, link channels into stereo or split them into mono, route audio between inputs and outputs, eq/compression/reverb, switch between sets kf monitors, headphones.... Totalmix handles everything. And the software gives finer control than the encoders as well.

Give it a try, you might find you don’t need add-on hardware at all.
is it possible to map the controls of Totalmix?
if so, problem solved - ditch both units.

i'd still put my money on the JBL, after reading the other posts.

also, fishmonkey is 100% correct... doing A/B testing where you know which is being used is kind of a self-inflicted farce. at the very least, get someone else to make make the change while you listen blindly.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:34 am

My RME has no Master Volume knob of any kind and I have nothing to map it to and no I dont want to have to reach for the mouse every time to adjust the software.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:17 am

for the record TotalMix can be controlled with MIDI.

i agree though that there is no substitute for a big hardware dial for on-the-fly volume changes.

one advantage of MIDI controlling Totalmix is that you could have a bunch of buttons that jump to specific volume levels. this could come in really handy if you are serious about having a few consistent monitoring levels for mixing/mastering...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:04 pm

i use an Apogee Duet. it has a nice huge volume knob and two touch-buttons. i have my monitors assigned to one button and my headphones to the other. i can toggle them independently of one another or both on/off at the same time. i can also toggle through inputs by pushing the volume button or assign any of the other inputs to the two touch-buttons. only catch is... there's only two buttons, but it's never been an issue. if it ever is, i can re-assign them on the fly. between the Apogee software and OS X audio settings it's very flexible.

for mapping other parameters to pots/faders, i still have a Novation RemoteZero SL in perfect working order :)
and an OG Push.