Best way to reinstall Live 9? (while keeping custom racks)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Citizen

Best way to reinstall Live 9? (while keeping custom racks)

Post by Citizen » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:09 am

Long story short, I made a bunch of short sighted Library decisions when Live 9 and Push came, and my library is a largely unusable mess.

I kind of what to start afresh - but without losing all of my custom racks.

Is there a correct (and easy) way to do a fresh install of Live, but keep certain custom racks safe, so they can be reinstalled later?

Also, if anyone knows of any tutorials on best practice for organising your library to work optimally with Push workflow, that would be amazing. :D My library got so confusing, that I ended up using my mouse so much that it defeated the purpose of Push! :roll:

Citizen

Re: Best way to reinstall Live 9? (while keeping custom racks)

Post by Citizen » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:26 am

No dice? Any help?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:20 am

Well your custom racks would be in a folder on your computer so in order to not lose them (or anything you do not wish to lose) then copy that.

In this kind of situation where you want to make a clean start and reorder things properly, if possible get a spare HDD (they are dirt cheap) and just copy EVERYTHING onto it, trash your whole setup then setup and install things correctly and start copying stuff back. At least if you open a project that cannot find a sample you have it all backed up somewhere.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:05 am

Thanks Jester McGee – that seems like the most sensible approach, I just wanted to see if there were any preferred methods from those who have treat this path before.

I've got multiple HDDs backing up using Time Machine on Mac, so if it goes AWOL, I'll reinstall from that.

Thank you!