Mettering Bridge Magnification Toggle.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Do you want a magnified meetering toggle for inputs?

Do you noticed a fidelity difference between Live and other software applications?
No votes
Do you use Live mainly for CD produer support or in Live stage applications?
100%

Total votes: 2

Myth Healer

Mettering Bridge Magnification Toggle.

Post by Myth Healer » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:18 pm

When people conduct discussions on the difference in sound quality between Live and other software applications I know why the difference exists. Yes you will probably get better results with more expensive software, but not for reasons you might assume. Knowing why the difference exists allows Live users to get the same results as others do from more industry standard software packages.
The reason for my request is based on an interesting A/B test I did between Vegas audio and Live 4.0.1. Having been of the opinion that I could achieve a higher quality recording in Vegas Audio, my latest test was to determine the specifics in this difference. What prompted me to make this comparison was a comment I read on a BB about how Live didn't have the quality of Vegas. I too was of this opinion, but the follow up comment bothered me. The follow up comment stated that your fidelity of sound was determined by the sound card and not the software.
Days following the exposure to this debate I was curious as to the outcome one might find if an A/B test were conducted. Could you actually get Live to record with the same playback quality as that of Vegas? Any techno genius will allready have the answer to this question (or so they believe) and will probably not wish to continue reading any further, but my discovery as to WHY a person might get a better sound in Vegas is the reason for this post.

What came as a complete suprise to me was the difference a magnified metering bridge has on the setting of digital levels, and how this in turn improves playback fidelity. I Begain my A/B test in Vegas (after I had been recording guitar solos in Live ver. 4.0.1 for about a week prior) and emediately noticed the input level on stereo ch. 1 (of Vegas) was 4dB down from my normal sweet spot setting. I emediately raised the level and wow, big difference. I waisted no time shutting down Vegas, returning to Live. Recorded a few takes there and sat back wondering how much difference it would make for all Live users--if they had a better feedback (that's what mettering is all about) on how their digital tracks were being recorded.

The ability to keep the metering bars small (as they are currently in Live 4.0.1.) with the option of clicking on a toggle switch that would allow the meter to be magnified in that lower left info. window--would be an exellent improvement. Vegas has an additional feature where you can set the magnification of what you are metering, last 12db before clipping, full range and other dynamic levels. If I wish to see the peaks there will be a delayed line at the peak. If I wish to see the low spots the low spots will delay their lowest point. Seeing the delay of the low dynamic spots on a metering bridge is what you need to set compression properly.

I know this software update request is nothing sexy and wild for club re mixer types although, the overall fidelity should allways be a priority. The answer to this initial question of why there is, generally, a sonic quality difference between recordings conducted in Live and those done in more expensive software packages (I would hope) will inspire the Live ver. 5.2 planning team to consider making metering enhancements a priority for future version updates.

Live user
Oregon
USA

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:19 pm

Hi Myth Healer,

wrong forum so I moved it to the 'General" one.

regards,
Alex

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:06 pm

You could also use Elemental Audio Systems' Inspector or PSP's Vintage Meter as a track insert while we wait for the Abletons to implement your fine request.

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:50 pm

Thats not a bad request! Can't be too much of an issue to insert a zoom meter in place of the help box :)

I'm 100% behind this. It'll clutter up Live with an extra button but maybe if it was toggled by a shortcut key it would keep things neat. Or have an "always on" option in the menu so it zooms the meter of track that is selected (again in place of the help box).

That way advanced users will get the tools they need and noobs won't get lost in the clutter, cus they won't know about it till they read the manual :)

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:52 pm

by the way, that poll makes no sense for this topic.

DJRetard

Post by DJRetard » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:12 am

Hi Myth Healer,

I fI thought Lives audio engine was sub standard I would be hollering all over the forum. But I can assure you Lives audio algorythm is totally fine.

The problem with Live over some other softwar eis its more difficult to mix a tune. Its an ergonmic thing. I fyo uuse a mouse it can be a real chore, even i fyou use a good controler its can be a chore.

I totally see where your coming from and it is one of the biggest things that bother me about live.

If someone is a noob to them its all cool, but if your used to mixing on other platforms and an analog console it can be extremely frustrating mixing in live.

Then again I like the instant aspect of live so for teh moment Im prepared to put up with it. But not for ever. Come version 6, if there isnt better mixing ergonomics. like hide tracks, safe solo, mor accurate faders (at least visually_ I cant see me staying with Live. (sadly)

But miss Pts mixer and Cubase SX's mixer a lot Even the one that comes bundled with the Motu 828 is a great looking, and smooth virtual mixer. It feels like your mixing if you kno what I mean. I wish ableton had that mixer.

I can dream

8)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:19 am

I agree, better mixing features are the only thing keeping me from dumping SX fully for Live with the improvements in ver5. Great for composing, no accurate enough for mixing. Robert has already said they are going to be addressing this in a future release though, so I imagine we'll see some improvements soon.

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am

What is with these polls where both the options aren't opposites....

You have hit the nail on the head though, it's amazing what a little extra
gain can do. As the A/B tests done here, my first listen before doing any
other tests had me thinking that Logic had more bass and more highend
sparkle, when really it was just a lil louder at all frequencies. I don't really
see it as a fidelity issue tho.... The gain difference is so small I don't
believe it would result is much bit reduction, which isn't going to make that
big a difference. The perception difference is bigger then I expected tho.

I use RME DigiCheck for my metering.... As it includes stuff that is way
outside the scope of Live, or what anyone would want Live to do.....

but I'd have to say...... Do you drive your car by looking at the dash?

-Ben