Using Groove

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ROBTRONIX

Using Groove

Post by ROBTRONIX » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:20 pm

Hey all,

Question about applying groove from the groove pool onto tracks. Does the audio or midi you are applying it to have to be consolidated first? Would one hits be affected by groove the same way as a consolidated loop would?

Thanks,
Rob

H20nly

Re: Using Groove

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:55 pm

i could be wrong... but i think it would at least need to be in some bite size chunks like 4-8 bars...

it seems to me that the groove might start over at each new one hit.... unless it's applied globally to the whole set.

i'm not in front of a computer with Live on it to play with it, but hopefully someone will chime in with a definitive answer for you.

you got me curious now too. :idea:

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:35 am

ROBTRONIX wrote:Hey all,

Question about applying groove from the groove pool onto tracks. Does the audio or midi you are applying it to have to be consolidated first? Would one hits be affected by groove the same way as a consolidated loop would?

Thanks,
Rob

I'm assuming you are referring about Arrange view clips.

I imagine so.

That said you can also try selecting all clips and in clip view, load groove file.

I believe it might load up on all clips without consolidating.

That said if your clips dont match the clip length of groove clip (eg partial bar clips), you might run into some offset issues.

But as long as the lengths are integer multiples of the groove file, I think you should be fine.

ROBTRONIX

Post by ROBTRONIX » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:31 am

Yes I was refering to one shot audio clips sliced on the arrangement page. I group selected them and applied groove to them but seems to have timing issue. Probably since my groove is a 2 bar loop and the snippets of my audio clips are so short they probably don’t know how to shift position to match the grooves transients. Im going to experiment with doing both chopped and consolidated of the exact same material to see how the groove interacts with them.

Thanks all for the help