All times are UTC

Post subject: trying to do some live looping, running into a painful issue
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:22 am 

Hey friends, I am currently trying to jam out live loops with ableton, but I keep running into an issue, If I am recording a loop and I hit the "stop recording" pad on my launchpad a little too late, it adds another 4 beats to my loop, even though 99.9% of that bar is empty.

Is there a way to automatically trim empty bars if I hit the stop button shortly after a loop? seems like this should have been thought of and implemented by now... :twisted:

Post subject: Re: trying to do some live looping, running into a painful issue
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:14 am 

No, it's called timing, do it before you read h the end of the loop (it sounds like you have your quantise set to a bar so you can do it at any point in the final bar)...

Cheers
D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:19 am 

This isnt much of a solution but I also have the kind of timimg which sees me hit "end of loop" ... precisely 3 ms after I should do

So, I wrote a thing for my footpedal which truncates the clip to the closest bar, or wherever I need it to be. It's probably not too transferable to anyone elses setup. However, if you have any skill in programming its a pretty simple set of calls to the Live API from python. Install it as a live remotescript. That sort of thing.

Actually, it would be relatively easy to make a M4L device which does the same thing, and map that to a MIDI input.

In case you vaguely understand what I'm talking about here, this is part of the Python remotescript, (I'm sure there's a framework method for this) but anyway ...

Code:
def setcliplooplength(self,value):
      self.current_slot_clip = self.song.view.highlighted_clip_slot.clip
      loop_end = self.current_slot_clip.loop_end
      loop_start= self.current_slot_clip.loop_start
      loop_duration = loop_end-loop_start
''' whatever you want to do with your durations here, but I'll just set this as an example ----
      fixedlength = 8.0
'''
      self.current_slot_clip.loop_end = loop_start + fixedlength

that's roughly how I do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:44 am 

S4racen wrote:
No, it's called timing, do it before you read h the end of the loop (it sounds like you have your quantise set to a bar so you can do it at any point in the final bar)...

Cheers
D

lol. timing.. dude, when you are strumming a guitar, it's kind of hard to hit the "stop the recording" button....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:47 am 

Angstrom wrote:
This isnt much of a solution but I also have the kind of timimg which sees me hit "end of loop" ... precisely 3 ms after I should do

So, I wrote a thing for my footpedal which truncates the clip to the closest bar, or wherever I need it to be. It's probably not too transferable to anyone elses setup. However, if you have any skill in programming its a pretty simple set of calls to the Live API from python. Install it as a live remotescript. That sort of thing.

Actually, it would be relatively easy to make a M4L device which does the same thing, and map that to a MIDI input.

In case you vaguely understand what I'm talking about here, this is part of the Python remotescript, (I'm sure there's a framework method for this) but anyway ...

Code:
def setcliplooplength(self,value):
      self.current_slot_clip = self.song.view.highlighted_clip_slot.clip
      loop_end = self.current_slot_clip.loop_end
      loop_start= self.current_slot_clip.loop_start
      loop_duration = loop_end-loop_start
''' whatever you want to do with your durations here, but I'll just set this as an example ----
      fixedlength = 8.0
'''
      self.current_slot_clip.loop_end = loop_start + fixedlength

that's roughly how I do it.

hey man.. actually this is really great! do you by chance have a link to the live api documentation?

This is pretty exciting! Also I just bought the M4L extension, but I feel like the learning curve is really frigging hard haha.

Any tips you have on getting started with M4L would be much appreciated as well.. :)

Thanks!