Live - Space Before File Name

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kenny5277

Re: Live - Space Before File Name

Post by kenny5277 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:46 am

[jur] wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:48 pm
palmenas wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:52 pm
I have the same issue and it's very annoying. I have my working sets on a local drive that is auto backed up to OneDrive.
When I have a clip without name and I freeze the track, it will name it to " (Freeze)" and OneDrive is complaining.
Which Live version are you running?
I think the bug was solved a few months ago (but I need to check).
I don't think it was, because I have the same issue, and I have the latest version. Good at least to learn that naming clips should solve the problem.

deetuned

Post by deetuned » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:03 am

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? It's driving me absolutely nuts, having the same issue with Nextcloud syncing.

Every single time I stop a production/mixing session, I have to manually rename all my frozen Kontakt/LABS track filenames before I make a copy of the folder into my Nextcloud folder for backups.

Every single frozen file has a space at the start of it, at least on macOS 13, regardless of the plug-in or source file/clip name/track name/track contents (usually just "DRUMS" containing only MIDI, as an example).

I must have spent hours of my life at this point renaming all those frozen files, and I can't script a filename change since if you don't rename it through Ableton then it loses track of it.

Also, why are there leading spaces, parentheses, and brackets in filenames anyway? This is bad practice for many filesystems.

Ableton is my go to for music production and I love it, but this is a serious hindrance to workflow where data retention is important.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:13 am

it doesn't address the problem directly, however Dropbox doesn't seem to complain about filenames that start with spaces.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:32 am

deetuned wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:03 am
Did anyone ever find a solution to this? It's driving me absolutely nuts, having the same issue with Nextcloud syncing.

Every single time I stop a production/mixing session, I have to manually rename all my frozen Kontakt/LABS track filenames before I make a copy of the folder into my Nextcloud folder for backups.

Every single frozen file has a space at the start of it, at least on macOS 13, regardless of the plug-in or source file/clip name/track name/track contents (usually just "DRUMS" containing only MIDI, as an example).

I must have spent hours of my life at this point renaming all those frozen files, and I can't script a filename change since if you don't rename it through Ableton then it loses track of it.

Also, why are there leading spaces, parentheses, and brackets in filenames anyway? This is bad practice for many filesystems.

Ableton is my go to for music production and I love it, but this is a serious hindrance to workflow where data retention is important.
Which Live version are you using?
Ableton Forum Moderator

deetuned

Post by deetuned » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:18 am

[jur] wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:32 am
Which Live version are you using?
Appears to be Standard 11.2.7, macOS 13.0.1.

ark

Post by ark » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:13 pm

This is a design flaw in Windows: When a file name component begins with a space, and you copy the file somewhere else, sometimes Windows quietly eliminates the space (and sometimes it doesn't, depending on which operating-system facilities you use to copy the file).

For example, the Live pack "Geisterwelt by Utami" has a subfolder named "Samples". In that folder is a file named " Freeze.aif" (note the space at the beginning). If I try to make a backup of this folder, the space is removed in the copy. Then, if I try to compare the original and backup folders to see that they were copied correctly, they compare unequal because one file has a space at the beginning of its name and the other doesn't.

I've reported this problem to Ableton, but of course they didn't necessarily create the packs in question, and I imagine that renaming a few files for convenience of backing up is low on their priority list.