Preset quick browsing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
disquieter

Preset quick browsing

Post by disquieter » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:09 am

This is my first post so sorry if it manages to be redundant. Brand new owner of Live.

For anyone who remembers Native Instruments Kore. It had a macro feature that allowed you to combine multiple instruments very similar to the racks in Live. I suspect that Live ultimately killed Kore since Live had a lot of Kore's most critical functions. One thing that Kore did that I haven't figured out to do since it's demise is have a quick browser for my entire library. The nice thing that it did was allow you to quick access exactly what sort of sound you're looking for and customize it to the way that you like to work. So if you were looking for a bass sound that was metallic, dissonant, monophonic, pulsing and synchronized you could get all your choices after a few clicks. And if you wanted to create your own tag to browse your sounds, you could do that.

All of NI's instruments still have this browser but it didn't encompass everything like Kore did. My question is, does Ableton allow you to do anything similar to this?

I've been sorting my drum sample library within Battery in this fashion, but I'm wondering if I might be wasting my time? Especially since that will only help me browse my drum sample library and leaves out all my instruments, effects and presets. Either way, I'm curious how you guys have made your libraries quick and easy to navigate.

8bitavenger

Re: Preset quick browsing

Post by 8bitavenger » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:16 am

I'm a noob as well, but I'm pretty sure I have an idea that'll work, though there may be a more advanced/better way I don't know of. When you get any plugin to a point where you like the settings, you can click the little disk icon in the top-right of it on your track's midi/instrument/effect rack and name and save it as a preset. I think by default they're always going to be saved as sub-folders to whatever that plugin is, which makes sense. But I believe you could also make a custom folder, say "Sound Browser", make sub-folders with the names of the sound types like you're talking about, and then copy or drag the presets in those.

I'm not 100% sure and haven't gone through the motions to try that type of thing myself, but I'm pretty sure that'll work. You may need to do some or all of the folder/subfolder stuff in your computer's browser rather than Live's...

But hey, it's an idea!

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:16 pm

Take a look at Audiomodders if you want to browse presets from NI komplete in Live/Push here:

https://www.audiomodder.com/

Hope it will help.

http://www.lovelight.biz/

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:00 am

lovelight wrote:Take a look at Audiomodders if you want to browse presets from NI komplete in Live/Push here:

https://www.audiomodder.com/
I'd first look into the ability to actually download the required Komplete Kontrol software as that requires a komplete kontrol serial number to unlock it (did not use to need it years ago). For that reason, it may not work.