Ozone App Alternatives? Mastering Vst Environment Suite?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
spanktron
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:17 pm

Ozone App Alternatives? Mastering Vst Environment Suite?

Post by spanktron » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:52 pm

Hello everyone.

After having reccuring problems when using 3rd party plugins with Ozone 8 adv in standalone mode
i am getting fed up and am ready to test some alternatives.

I compose music in Ableton. When mastering however , For 1 track Ableton is perfect. I could master there.

But if you want to Master 10-15 tracks i find the Structure of Ableton a pain in the butt when it comes down to organizing and

exporting and-or switching-jumping between tracks.

Do you know any alternative that is super stable and can host 3rd party Vsts but also where i can work-master more easily-efficiently than in Ableton?

I like the layout ot Ozone but as i said,,,, no patience left

jlgrimes
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:55 am
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Re: Ozone App Alternatives? Mastering Vst Environment Suite?

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:08 am

spanktron wrote:Hello everyone.

After having reccuring problems when using 3rd party plugins with Ozone 8 adv in standalone mode
i am getting fed up and am ready to test some alternatives.

I compose music in Ableton. When mastering however , For 1 track Ableton is perfect. I could master there.

But if you want to Master 10-15 tracks i find the Structure of Ableton a pain in the butt when it comes down to organizing and

exporting and-or switching-jumping between tracks.

Do you know any alternative that is super stable and can host 3rd party Vsts but also where i can work-master more easily-efficiently than in Ableton?

I like the layout ot Ozone but as i said,,,, no patience left
There are a good deal of other DAWS available free, cheap or commercial.

Not sure what you dont like about Ableton but here are some recommendations:


Free (cant confirm stability but most are full featured)

Traction version 7
Sonar (must be on Windows)
Audacity (audio editor)


Cheap (demo is unexpiring)

Reaper (pretty strong feature wise although workflow can be obtuse but it can burn CDs) super stable. A mastering guy on YouTube uses this White Sea but I think he is looking for alternatives my guess is because of Reapers obtuse workflow.

Expensive

Studio One (it has a dedicated mastering view) stability is about similar to Ableton. It has free or reduced versions but those aren't as full featured as the other recommendations.

fishmonkey
Posts: 4105
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: Ozone App Alternatives? Mastering Vst Environment Suite?

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:00 am

two more specialised options (that are not full DAWs) are DSP-Quattro and Auchitect Triumph:

https://www.dsp-quattro.com/dspquattro/ ... attro.html

https://triumph.aurchitect.com/
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

Tarekith
Posts: 17372
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: Ozone App Alternatives? Mastering Vst Environment Suite?

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:13 am

I've been using Triumph daily here for the mastering business since it came out. It's a unique workflow, but powerful and focused on audio quality (the included SRC, dither, and analysis options are excellent). Cheap too IMO for what you get.

It doesn't have any dedicated mastering plug ins per se though, but it sounds like you have that covered. They have some good (if basic) tutorials starting with this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJnaI5mfft8

spanktron
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:17 pm

Re: Ozone App Alternatives? Mastering Vst Environment Suite?

Post by spanktron » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:54 pm

Tarekith wrote:I've been using Triumph daily here for the mastering business since it came out. It's a unique workflow, but powerful and focused on audio quality (the included SRC, dither, and analysis options are excellent). Cheap too IMO for what you get.

It doesn't have any dedicated mastering plug ins per se though, but it sounds like you have that covered. They have some good (if basic) tutorials starting with this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJnaI5mfft8
Thank you will check it out

Btw , i don`t need for the App to have Plugins. I NEED it to support 3rd Party plugins though. I want to use the Plugins i have
Last edited by spanktron on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spanktron
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:17 pm

Re: Ozone App Alternatives? Mastering Vst Environment Suite?

Post by spanktron » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:03 pm

will check Studio One out
Last edited by spanktron on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spanktron
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:17 pm

Re: Ozone App Alternatives? Mastering Vst Environment Suite?

Post by spanktron » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:05 pm

jlgrimes wrote:
spanktron wrote:Hello everyone.

After having reccuring problems when using 3rd party plugins with Ozone 8 adv in standalone mode
i am getting fed up and am ready to test some alternatives.

I compose music in Ableton. When mastering however , For 1 track Ableton is perfect. I could master there.

But if you want to Master 10-15 tracks i find the Structure of Ableton a pain in the butt when it comes down to organizing and

exporting and-or switching-jumping between tracks.

Do you know any alternative that is super stable and can host 3rd party Vsts but also where i can work-master more easily-efficiently than in Ableton?

I like the layout ot Ozone but as i said,,,, no patience left
There are a good deal of other DAWS available free, cheap or commercial.

Not sure what you dont like about Ableton but here are some recommendations:


Free (cant confirm stability but most are full featured)

Traction version 7
Sonar (must be on Windows)
Audacity (audio editor)


Cheap (demo is unexpiring)

Reaper (pretty strong feature wise although workflow can be obtuse but it can burn CDs) super stable. A mastering guy on YouTube uses this White Sea but I think he is looking for alternatives my guess is because of Reapers obtuse workflow.

Expensive

Studio One (it has a dedicated mastering view) stability is about similar to Ableton. It has free or reduced versions but those aren't as full featured as the other recommendations.



I love Ableton. You got me wrong.

I just don`t find the worflow when mastering multiple tracks very convenient.

In Ozone you have all tracks one next to the other and can jump back and forth and compare-adjust on the fly.

In Ableton , if you don`t want as CPU explosion , there is no way to layer (optically) all tracks in a similar way.

In Arrangement you have 1) Create a new track for every Track you want to master
2) Move one Track after the other in the Timeline so they don`t play simultaneously and melt my CPU
3) Export you have to do one by one because there is no way to choose different regions to export if you export ALL TRACKS.

Have you ever mastered an Album in Ableton? If yes how did you solve all of these issues? They are not the end of the world
but i find the work flow in Ozone Standalone anything between felt 800-1000 times easier and faster.


As to the Suggestions, I know Reaper from seing. It is a DAW isn`t it? So i will have the same issues as with Ableton.
I need something more similar to Ozone and less similar to a DAW.
The only thing i have found (which is weird. Only Ozone exists in this layout?) was Lursen Console by I.K Multimedia but A) I don`t like I.K multimedia B) I don`t know if it supports
3rd Party Plugins

jlgrimes
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:55 am
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Re: Ozone App Alternatives? Mastering Vst Environment Suite?

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:40 pm

spanktron wrote:
jlgrimes wrote:
spanktron wrote:Hello everyone.

After having reccuring problems when using 3rd party plugins with Ozone 8 adv in standalone mode
i am getting fed up and am ready to test some alternatives.

I compose music in Ableton. When mastering however , For 1 track Ableton is perfect. I could master there.

But if you want to Master 10-15 tracks i find the Structure of Ableton a pain in the butt when it comes down to organizing and

exporting and-or switching-jumping between tracks.

Do you know any alternative that is super stable and can host 3rd party Vsts but also where i can work-master more easily-efficiently than in Ableton?

I like the layout ot Ozone but as i said,,,, no patience left
There are a good deal of other DAWS available free, cheap or commercial.

Not sure what you dont like about Ableton but here are some recommendations:


Free (cant confirm stability but most are full featured)

Traction version 7
Sonar (must be on Windows)
Audacity (audio editor)


Cheap (demo is unexpiring)

Reaper (pretty strong feature wise although workflow can be obtuse but it can burn CDs) super stable. A mastering guy on YouTube uses this White Sea but I think he is looking for alternatives my guess is because of Reapers obtuse workflow.

Expensive

Studio One (it has a dedicated mastering view) stability is about similar to Ableton. It has free or reduced versions but those aren't as full featured as the other recommendations.



I love Ableton. You got me wrong.

I just don`t find the worflow when mastering multiple tracks very convenient.

In Ozone you have all tracks one next to the other and can jump back and forth and compare-adjust on the fly.

In Ableton , if you don`t want as CPU explosion , there is no way to layer (optically) all tracks in a similar way.

In Arrangement you have 1) Create a new track for every Track you want to master
2) Move one Track after the other in the Timeline so they don`t play simultaneously and melt my CPU
3) Export you have to do one by one because there is no way to choose different regions to export if you export ALL TRACKS.

Have you ever mastered an Album in Ableton? If yes how did you solve all of these issues? They are not the end of the world
but i find the work flow in Ozone Standalone anything between felt 800-1000 times easier and faster.


As to the Suggestions, I know Reaper from seing. It is a DAW isn`t it? So i will have the same issues as with Ableton.
I need something more similar to Ozone and less similar to a DAW.
The only thing i have found (which is weird. Only Ozone exists in this layout?) was Lursen Console by I.K Multimedia but A) I don`t like I.K multimedia B) I don`t know if it supports
3rd Party Plugins

I have Ozone but I've never used the standalone app to be honest.

I typically only work with one track at a time (hence I don't do mastering, or at least not enough to have much insight).

Reaper is one of the most efficient DAWS and usually if you explain a feature enough on the forum, someone will usually show you how it can be done with macros, but it can be a convoluted workflow.


I use Studio One mainly for mastering (mainly singles). What I do like about it is you can easily go back to your mix and tweak that, then go back to your master with ease but I never heard of the other apps people mentioned (Studio One probably is geared more for people who master and mix their own music than a dedicated mastering Suite). I thought Studio One had the one track concept similar to a DAW though but somehow, I didn't find it too hard to jump to new songs. I'd guess Ableton you'd have to create markers to be able to jump back and forth. I think Ableton does have the option to export individual tracks but if CPU use is an issue, other than freezing, you don't have much options.

fishmonkey
Posts: 4105
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: Ozone App Alternatives? Mastering Vst Environment Suite?

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:13 pm

Studio One has a project page which is aimed at album assembly and mastering.

personally if i was doing mastering regularly i would choose a more dedicated tool (unless for some reason i wanted to change main DAWs as well).
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

spanktron
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:17 pm

Re: Ozone App Alternatives? Mastering Vst Environment Suite?

Post by spanktron » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:17 pm

I have Ozone but I've never used the standalone app to be honest.

I typically only work with one track at a time (hence I don't do mastering, or at least not enough to have much insight).

Reaper is one of the most efficient DAWS and usually if you explain a feature enough on the forum, someone will usually show you how it can be done with macros, but it can be a convoluted workflow.


I use Studio One mainly for mastering (mainly singles). What I do like about it is you can easily go back to your mix and tweak that, then go back to your master with ease but I never heard of the other apps people mentioned (Studio One probably is geared more for people who master and mix their own music than a dedicated mastering Suite). I thought Studio One had the one track concept similar to a DAW though but somehow, I didn't find it too hard to jump to new songs. I'd guess Ableton you'd have to create markers to be able to jump back and forth. I think Ableton does have the option to export individual tracks but if CPU use is an issue, other than freezing, you don't have much options.[/quote]


For me Ozone has some stupid restrictions like only 6 modules , No resizable GUI (?) ..... no comment . No zoom-in the waveform? No commment

However the ease of use and batch export convenience is hard to beat.
Basically i don`t understand how there is no other Mastering Daw (at least that i know of) that is build up similarly.
You have dozens of DAWs but no Mastering Suites or only 3 or how many there are.

No i need ease of use cause i often master 5-10 tracks at once so if i did it in Ableton i would comit suicide before i finish.
I don`t need "easily jump back to the mix and correct" as i masrter finished mixes by others and 98% of the time i don`t have the stems.

Till now Studio One seems the closest to what i want but i am hesitant since i don`t want a fully fledged DAW only to use one aspect of it.

I would like a dedicated tool. An environmanet where i can use my 3rd party Plugins. As it is now in Ozone i sometimes use Metaplugin in order to use more than 6 plugins .
which lowers the stability of the system
Last edited by spanktron on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spanktron
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:17 pm

Re: Ozone App Alternatives? Mastering Vst Environment Suite?

Post by spanktron » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:18 pm

fishmonkey wrote:Studio One has a project page which is aimed at album assembly and mastering.

personally if i was doing mastering regularly i would choose a more dedicated tool (unless for some reason i wanted to change main DAWs as well).


Ehhhm. But thats exacltly what i am looking for. Thats the whole point of this thread.

I am looking for an alternative to Ozone and there doesn`t seem to be one

fishmonkey
Posts: 4105
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: Ozone App Alternatives? Mastering Vst Environment Suite?

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:24 pm

spanktron wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:Studio One has a project page which is aimed at album assembly and mastering.

personally if i was doing mastering regularly i would choose a more dedicated tool (unless for some reason i wanted to change main DAWs as well).
Ehhhm. But thats exacltly what i am looking for. Thats the whole point of this thread.

I am looking for an alternative to Ozone and there doesn`t seem to be one
um, aren't both DSP-Quattro and Triumph alternatives???
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

spanktron
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:17 pm

Re: Ozone App Alternatives? Mastering Vst Environment Suite?

Post by spanktron » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:32 pm

fishmonkey wrote:
spanktron wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:Studio One has a project page which is aimed at album assembly and mastering.

personally if i was doing mastering regularly i would choose a more dedicated tool (unless for some reason i wanted to change main DAWs as well).
Ehhhm. But thats exacltly what i am looking for. Thats the whole point of this thread.

I am looking for an alternative to Ozone and there doesn`t seem to be one
um, aren't both DSP-Quattro and Triumph alternatives???
Oh man. I am sorry. I didn`t check them though i said i would. Just did now.
Look very good! Need to further investigate. Both seem to be supportin only AU and most my plugins are VST... though i could install the AU versions too but ... but :-)

Post Reply