I can't fix the missing media link, Help?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Henry Robinett

I can't fix the missing media link, Help?

Post by Henry Robinett » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:35 pm

I'm a long time user but still very much a newbie. But I don't want to be a newbie! I pulled up an old Ableton project. The sounds are missing. So I know where the sounds folder is. How do I fix this link? Nothing I've done seems to work. Under automatic search, I have the correct folder selected. SET FOLDER. Search folder - yes. I hit GO and it says no new candidates found. I've tried dragging the files into the media files window. Nope. I took the sounds folder, copied it and moved it to the projects folder, set the folder, clicked search project, hit go and it still says no new candidates. What gives? It seems like it should be pretty easy to point to the new direction and establish a link. No? What am I missing?
All the best,

Henry Robinett
Mac Pro 7,1 16 Core 160GB, MP 5,1/32 GB
Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6) ULN-2
DP 10, Logic, PT,Live 10, Falcon, VEP, Superior Drummer, Kontakt5, UAD-2 Solo&Duo, Millennia HV3D, Lot's 'o mics . . .

hoffman2k

Re: I can't fix the missing media link, Help?

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:30 pm

In the menu, select "Manage Files". That is the proper way to relink old projects, individual sets and presets.

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:37 pm

hoffman2k wrote:In the menu, select "Manage Files". That is the proper way to relink old projects, individual sets and presets.
Thank you. But that takes me to the same circus. I can't get it to work.
All the best,

Henry Robinett
DP 10, Logic, PT,Live 10, Falcon, VEP, Superior Drummer, Kontakt5, UAD-2 Solo&Duo, Millennia HV3D, Lot's 'o mics . . .

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:16 pm

In the automatic search drop options, did you select a custom search folder? By default it only looks in the project (with varied results) and the library.
Do the files have proper extensions? Do the samples still load in other software? Maybe something got corrupted along the way.
And what if you drag the samples from wherever they are on the drive to whichever device/slot uses them in the project?

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:33 pm

What are the proper extensions? The files were originally done in version 7? Maybe 4? The project's name has the SONG 1.3 but the sound files, that I've pointed directly to, are SONG 1.2. Should that matter?
All the best,

Henry Robinett

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:35 pm

I didn't put it in the library. Should I drag the song's sound folder into the library? Is that the proper location?
All the best,

Henry Robinett

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:45 pm

No you can set a folder if you click on the arrow next to automatic search in the manager.
Searching in the library or a custom folder should yield the same result if the files are there. But the name has to be exactly the same. If you need song 1.3, it won't know its actually song 1.2. Extension may not matter in most cases, but in case of Live 4 I remember having projects with samples that weren't recognized as such until I added an extension. You'll need a sample editor to know if its originally aiff or wav, since it depends on your export settings at the time.
If you have a file of which you're unsure its a sample, load it in VLC media player. That'll play almost anything and give you some info.

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:52 pm

I changed the name to match. I have it placed both in the library and another location. Set the folder. Nope. No go.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:24 pm

Which devices use the samples? Can you hot-swap the samples with the ones you now placed in your library?