Multitrack Rewire - FL as client, Ableton as the host

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ree Fagbemi

Multitrack Rewire - FL as client, Ableton as the host

Post by Ree Fagbemi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:48 pm

Hello! Is it possible to rewire Fl Studio mixer tracks into independent Ableton channels, such that each Fruity Loops instrument is linked to it's own channel in Ableton?

H20nly

Re: Multitrack Rewire - FL as client, Ableton as the host

Post by H20nly » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:04 am

it's been a while since i've used FL, but it used to be able to re-rewire to Live just fine. i used for it drum tracks.

DEEMUSIC

Post by DEEMUSIC » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:53 am

If you are on windows OS just use the FL Vst it's easier than rewire. I don't think it is working yet on the Mac version yet.

Ree Fagbemi

Post by Ree Fagbemi » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:07 am

Thanks! @H20nly: It rewires fines. @DEEMUSIC thanks! the VSTi works perfectly, my operating system is windows also.

I'm just keen as to if it is possible to have individual rewiring/routing for each instrument channel as opposed to Ableton receiving stereo signal output from the master channel in Fruity Loops.

If this doesn't exist yet, surely it's a potential feature for the future?

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:24 am

Ree Fagbemi wrote:I'm just keen as to if it is possible to have individual rewiring/routing for each instrument channel as opposed to Ableton receiving stereo signal output from the master channel in Fruity Loops.

If this doesn't exist yet, surely it's a potential feature for the future?
Live has always been able to receive any number of individual channels through Rewire that the slave program can provide. In Live's audio track I/O, when you choose the slave program as the source of the audio input, the sub-menu will give you the tracks available for that slave. If FL studio is your slave program, then it's up to FL Studio's configuration (or ability) to make the individual channels you want available to Live.

It seems FL studio is capable of sending 16 stereo outputs (32 paired mono channels). So you just have to make sure your routing is setup properly in FL studio and then Live will be able to receive them all.

FL Studio
https://www.image-line.com/support/flst ... client.htm
Outputs, when used as a ReWire client, FL Studio provides 16 stereo outputs (32 paired mono channels). By default the first output pair is assigned to the Master mixer track, which means the whole project mix is sent to the first output pair. You can change this combination to fit your needs. For example, you can assign each Mixer track to a separate output, thus assigning individual outputs to a maximum of 16 individual mixer tracks in the Rewire host.

Ree Fagbemi

Post by Ree Fagbemi » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:14 am

Thanks a mil for the clarification!

I set the rewire up.

I only just realized I need to assign each FL Studio mixer channel to a numbered rewire output (the area circled in red) so Ableton can recognize each channel for their respective input signal(s)

On to the next issue, why is the rewired sound quality watered down?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:56 pm

Glad you got the re-wire portion sorted...

regarding audio quality... that should not be the case. is it possible that you have conflicting settings?
what i mean is, are you are using live at 48 kHz and FL at 16bit/44.1kHz or 24bit/44.1kHz, for example??

as i said in my first post, it's been a while... but i believe FL defaults to 44.1 kHz

Ree Fagbemi

Post by Ree Fagbemi » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:25 pm

FL Studio seems to slave to the same sample rate as the host - Ableton. Even then, I personally closed both DAWs and set FL Studio to 88.2KHz, then did the same for Ableton and rewired.

The quality is not awful, just the kicks don't hit as hard. Sounds similar to when you have your monitor switch on and record button armed on your audio interface, then playback an instrumental instead of recording.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:40 pm

hmmmm... there might be some effects that don't translate over the re-wire... but i have to admit, that doesn't seem right... at least, not until you start fiddling after the fact.

what i used to do was re-wire to get the drums and groove from FL (because Live had no groove then and even now FL has WAY better groove IMO). then, when i knew i was happy with the pattern and the swing, i would record the drums to an audio track, or audio tracks, in Live. that would allow me to edit the drums in Live as waveforms and use audio effects on them.

one of the reasons that i did it that way was because, in the end, i wanted all the music in one DAW rather than two. my logic being that if one stopped support of a protocol or a feature and the DAW became unusable, no longer affordable, etc i would have moved passed the dependency on two DAWs to play a single track (song). this simplified stem exports.

another reason was... it allowed me to permanently lock in the swing that FL gave the beat.

i wish i could be more helpful. i would definitely check the settings on both DAWs, if I were you. make sure that you're not performing tasks in one that should be done in the other and/or performing/adding tasks/edits/effects that may conflict or muddy your sound when stacked with the effects in the host or slave. you need to draw a clear line in the sand regarding what you want from FL effects-wise and what you want to do in Live.

good luck!