How to compensate "reduced latency when monitoring" audio

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
merges

How to compensate "reduced latency when monitoring" audio

Post by merges » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:00 am

I am running Live 10.0.6 on a 2018 Mac Mini, with a MOTU Ultralite mk3 @ 44.1kHz and a 128 sample buffer. I use external instruments, and Virus TI. The Virus plugin introduces about 80ms latency. Naturally, I use Live's in-build Delay Compensation.

I also record audio (e.g. guitar) and do all my monitoring "in the DAW." Thus I use the Reduced Delay When Monitoring to ensure that I can hear what I'm playing "in time" with the rest of my song. It works, everything sounds great and in sync.

However, my Live-reduced-delay-when-monitoring-monitored recording (e.g. guitar) is ultimately delayed and out of sync—in my current project by almost a full 16th note. Why doesn't Live automatically compensate based on whatever math it uses to "reduce" the delay when monitoring? Is there an easy way to ensure that in-DAW-monitored audio actually records in sync?

Angstrom

Re: How to compensate "reduced latency when monitoring" audio

Post by Angstrom » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:42 am

It should do. live moves the recorded audio to "on sync" after recording is over.
If it is not on sync then theres something wrong in prefs. Possibly the manual latenct offset in there, which ought to be set to zero unless theres an edge case. Some people accidentally (or by hardware reporting necessity) put a number in there.
Other than that I have no idea. Most of us have a setup similar toy what you describe anout our audio is on time.

merges

Re: How to compensate "reduced latency when monitoring" audio

Post by merges » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:21 pm

Thanks! I have specified no manual latency compensation. I'm not sure what to do. I'll email support.