issue layering drum rack on top of other midi drums

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
apeshake

issue layering drum rack on top of other midi drums

Post by apeshake » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:17 pm

I've tried to search for this problem but I'm struggling to imagine how another person might describe the issue

I'm layering a drum rack on top of an addictive drums track so I've assigned the drum rack midi input to come from addictive drums (to avoid copying all the midi parts and having to edit both). The problem is now when i try to edit the drum part live seems to have detected the presence of a drum rack in the midi chain and hidden any notes that don't have a sound assigned in the drum rack - is this normal?

I know there are ways round this - i could assign silent "empty" samples to all the drum rack slots i'm not actively using or i could temporarily disable the midi routing while i'm editing the addictive drums clips (both these give me back my full piano roll) but this has to be a bug right?

Anyone found a solution?

chrk

Re: issue layering drum rack on top of other midi drums

Post by chrk » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:26 pm

apeshake wrote: but this has to be a bug right?
No, it's a feature. Try the fold button at the top of the piano roll.

apeshake

Post by apeshake » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:54 pm

apeshake wrote:No, it's a feature. Try the fold button at the top of the piano roll.
oh yeah i forgot to mention this isn't a fold thing - fold still collapses unused notes (in that clip) but unfolded i only get access to the notes that are assigned in the drum rack or already in the clip - try it out and you'll see what i mean

so i'm still thinking thisd is a bug

chrk

Post by chrk » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:57 am

I see what you mean now. The fold button has not effect on the drum rack's or connected track's note editor. It's like they both auto fold to the populated drum rack cells, while the connected track also retains those notes that have been drawn in before making the connection.

I think I remember that being different in earlier versions where the fold button actually used to toggle between full piano roll and named cells on drum racks. It's open to debate whether that's a bug or a design decission, one could argue that, if you want to control a drum rack, you'd only want to edit notes that have voices.

File a bug report and ask, and please report back here. :wink: