Input Type and pitch MIDI effect problem

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Christian_R

Input Type and pitch MIDI effect problem

Post by Christian_R » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:36 pm

Hi!

I have two tracks in my project that play the exact same MIDI melody, and I learned that you can change the Input Type on one of the tracks so that it just plays from one MIDI clip. I found this to be very practical if I want to change the melody. In that way I dont need to change the melody twice or copy and paste the MIDI clips to the second track each time I make a small change.

But now I just noticed that if I use the MIDI effect Pitch on the main track with the MIDI clip, the second track will also be affected by that pitch. Is there a way to avoid that?

Normal Audio effects doesn't seem to affect the second track, just the MIDI effect.

I hope somebody knows the answer to this :)

yur2die4

Re: Input Type and pitch MIDI effect problem

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:40 pm

I don’t remember if there is a pre-post kind of option in channel routings. Would be ideal if they had midi routing from the output of any particular device of your choosing. Otherwise you’ll just need to add a Pitch effect that mirrors the other (as in negative for positive etc)

Christian_R

Re: Input Type and pitch MIDI effect problem

Post by Christian_R » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:55 pm

yur2die4 wrote:I don’t remember if there is a pre-post kind of option in channel routings. Would be ideal if they had midi routing from the output of any particular device of your choosing. Otherwise you’ll just need to add a Pitch effect that mirrors the other (as in negative for positive etc)
That's what I did now. It feels a little like a "MacGyver solution", so it would be nice if there was an easier way :)