Using an external device as mod wheel

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
andrebomtempo

Using an external device as mod wheel

Post by andrebomtempo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:31 am

Hey guys, first time asking something in the forum, so forgive me if I am at the wrong place to do so and let me know where should I ask if thats the case.

I have an Arturia 61 Keylab controller and I normally use the modwheel in it to control the modulation.

The problem is, sometimes I am playing with both hands and still want to control the modulation. What I normally do is to record without using the modwheel and then just record an automation over it using the modwheel.

I have a Yamaha expression pedal plugged to my keyboard controller and I was wondering if and how I could use the pedal to do what the modwheel is doing, as that would allow me to play with both hands and control the modulation with my foot. Is that possible, please someone can tell me how?

I know I can assign any midi device to the commands in ableton by going to the MIDI map area, but when it comes to the CC values I just don't know how to do it.

I appreciate any help.

Cheers!

Andre.

doghouse

Re: Using an external device as mod wheel

Post by doghouse » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Expression pedals usually default to CC#11. Your Arturia may allow you to remap that assignment.

Mod wheel is CC#1, so either remap it at the controller if you can or use a CC remapper plugin in Live to do it.

TLW

Re: Using an external device as mod wheel

Post by TLW » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:47 pm

Or remap the pedal to CC1 in the synth’s modulation matrix if it allows you to.

Or set up the synth’s mod matrix so whatever CC the pedal controls has the same functions as the mod wheel.

Personally I often use aftertouch for CC1/controlling modulation and the mod wheel itself to do something else.
Live 10.1 Suite, M4L, 2014/15 MacBook Pro 15.3” Retina i7, OS Mojave 10.14.5. RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.