Ableton Live 10 Suite: Midi Keyboard and Latency

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Fanu

Re: Ableton Live 10 Suite: Midi Keyboard and Latency

Post by Fanu » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:18 pm

Sure there are no plugins (on tracks, returns, master) in your project causing latency?
Mastering & mixing by Fanu | Ableton Live Basics tutorial video
Mixing and mastering engineer | Ableton Certified Trainer

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:53 pm

daek wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:04 pm

I am afraid you are wrong and your argument doesn't make sense. Reaper out of the box with the exact same settings doesn't show any sign of latency. So please, don't answer if you don't know how to fix this issue. I need people who know and understand the issue.
I know and understand, but with your know it all attitude you wont get anywhere, keep moaning about it douche....
Live 10,Push 2, Maschine MK3 & KK S61 MK2, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind 12D, Novation Peak, Komplete 12, Minitaur,TC Electronics M1XL, Waves Audio Beta tester
Get 10% off Waves Plugins https://www.waves.com/r/r0z5tks

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:10 pm

Please everyone, follow the community guidelines at the top of each forum and treat each other with respect if you're going to use our forums. Name calling is definitely not something we allow here.
Ableton Forum Administrator

TLW

Post by TLW » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:59 am

For whatever reason I lost track of this thread. My fault.

Now, I have done an exact duplicate of the Live settings in the post that started this discussion. New project, only thing loaded in it being Keyzone Classic. Live reports that plugin has zero "built in" latency for what that's worth.

Computer is a MacBook Pro Retina, 2.2GHz i7, Intel graphics. Audio interface is an RME UFX using the latest RME driver.

48KHz sample rate, 512MS buffer.

Live reports:
input latency = 11.7ms
output latency = 12.8ms
total round trip = 24.4ms.
Entering 64ms into driver error compensation takes the round trip to 25.8ms (I usually have driver error compensation set to 0).
I find that much latency a bit of a problem for playing software instruments and hopeless when recording audio into Live and monitoring it through Live (which is how I usually work so I can e.g. add delays in the box and hear what they're doing). The latency is about how I'd expect, VST response a little delayed but almost acceptable - it's the output latency which has the biggest influence on playing VSTs.

So let's set up the audio prefs as I usually have them when recording.
Sample rate 48KHz, buffer = 64ms. Driver error compensation 0.
input latency = 2.35ms
output latency = 3.42ms
total round trip = 7.08ms
Which for me at least amounts to zero noticeable latency. It's about the same time delay between playing a note and hearing it as a guitarist gets with his/her ears about 7 feet from their amp's speaker.

So I, at least, can get low latency in Live. I have in the past had similar results in Cubase and Sonar, and I get the same results in Logic. RME's drivers and hardware are among the very best for latency, but when using Edirol and Focusrite interfaces I've certainly managed at worst between 128 and 256 samples without problems on both PCs and Macs for many years.

The cause of latency in DAWs is not an entirely straightforward thing, poor latency performance can be caused by a lot of things. It might even be that Reaper gets on better with Audient drivers than Live does (though that Reaper reported latency of 27ms I'd find a real problem).

But nevertheless saying Live is incapable of low latency performance is simply wrong.

There are suggestions in this thread and others that might help fix a latency issue, have those with latency issues tried them?
Live 10.1 Suite, M4L, 2014/15 MacBook Pro 15.3” Retina i7, OS Mojave 10.14.5. RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:19 am

Latency is always due to the audio interface and related drivers.

Like TLW, I use a 64 sample buffer setting and get very low latency with both Live and Logic. I'm using an iMac, quad i5, it's about 6 years old so not super fast. Previous to the iMac I used a MacBook Pro from 2009, with only a Core 2 Duo and it also ran Live at a 64 sample buffer setting.

I would contact Audient support.

Jeremydnurse

Post by Jeremydnurse » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:31 pm

Hi I was having the same problem. I find a solution by methodically deleting each plugin until I found one that was causing the problem. I deleted it and it was fixed.

daek

Post by daek » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:27 am

Mark Williams wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:53 pm
daek wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:04 pm

I am afraid you are wrong and your argument doesn't make sense. Reaper out of the box with the exact same settings doesn't show any sign of latency. So please, don't answer if you don't know how to fix this issue. I need people who know and understand the issue.
I know and understand, but with your know it all attitude you won't get anywhere, keep moaning about it douche....
thank you, bye now.

U.G.U.R

Post by U.G.U.R » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:57 am

Hey guys!! I have an important problem.

I have problems about audio glitch and cpu overload in ableton 9.

My computer has LENOVO IDEAPAD 320 CORE İ5 8250U 1.6GHZ-12GB RAM, and ı sometimes used ROland MX-1 as a audio interface. But when ı got 15-20 tracks in my project, glitches and cpu overload started.
On the middle of my project, ı had to stop about this. I actually tried too many things;
I bought a 480 gb ssd harddrive and ı just setup ableton and its vst's inside. Sometimes i changed usb slot but i didnt work. Because of all thing ı said; ı couldnt finish a project for a long time. I am getting crazy 8O

If you guys have a idea or advice, ı waiting here. Please tell me smthg.

See you and thank you.
UGR

daek

Post by daek » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:08 pm

I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!!!

First of all, thank you to all who tried to help out but none of the proposed solutions worked.
Before I share the solution. I would like for those interested to recap the issue:
I was experiencing an unacceptable latency which made playing with my MIDI keyboard impossible.
Most proposed solutions suggested reducing the buffer size and making sure Driver Error Compensation is at 0.0ms.
This didn't work for me.
So, with the original settings:
- Sample Rate (In/Out): 48,000
- Buffer Size: 512 Samples
- Input Latency: 15.2ms
- Output Latency: 12.5ms
- Driver Error Compensation: 0smp or 0.0ms
- Overall Latency: 27.7ms

I discovered that, by default or on a default Ableton Live installation, the "Delay Compensation" option is turned on. This option is not located in the Preferences Dialogue (Dear ABLETON, please move this option in the Preferences Dialogue).
When this option is ON, Latency is perceivable, when OFF, no latency.

This option in located in the main Menu>Options>Delay Compensation. Turn this option off, and enjoy. I hope that helps some of you!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:22 am

it's always curious when someone who clearly doesn't understand what they are doing berates others who clearly do.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... on-in-Live
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here