Matching recorded return track audio with original

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
xXUKCXx

Matching recorded return track audio with original

Post by xXUKCXx » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:26 am

I'm in the final stages of a mix and my CPU is maxing out. I have two return tracks with a lot of processing, so I've recorded them to new tracks. The problem, however, is that these new recorded tracks are out of synch with the original return tracks. This is problematic because I've fine tuned the timing to be precisely where it needs to be. What is causing this delay? My buffer size is maxed out. There are no track delays active. How do I make my recorded tracks synch up *perfectly* with the originals? Thanks.

Pitch Black

Re: Matching recorded return track audio with original

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:21 pm

As you record your Return tracks to Audio Tracks, make sure that the sends on the Audio (recording) track are disabled (rightclick, Disable All Sends). If the sends on the recording track are enabled while recording Return channels, it introduces an offset.

I think it’s because Live pre-buffers, or otherwise introduces latency, anticipating that you might be getting ready to open those sends. This one drove me mad for a while! Disabling the sends did the trick here.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud