setting up articulations,within the piano roll

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
david.barker

setting up articulations,within the piano roll

Post by david.barker » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:18 am

Hi Everyone :)
So,I have these awesome libraries by Heavyocity, Novo and Forzo, and would like to use their articulations in the piano roll. :D
I have other libraries with articulations too,by different companies in my collection

My usual way, is to draw in the notes,,which is very tedious,time consuming and of course, runs and a risk of knocking them off key.(as we all too are aware)
Is there a way of doing this,in a simpler and safer way? I had thought about a separate midi track,but realised this would eat up valuable real estate

Just started to use Ableton live again,so pretty rusty

Any help would be much appreciated :)
Thanks
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores
1TB SSD main drive, external drive 6TB SSD for various Kontakt libraries

https://soundcloud.com/ambientdavemusic

Valiumdupeuple

Re: setting up articulations,within the piano roll

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:30 am

If you have M4L, you might like this device.
Use Push if you have it, or draw automations to set your articulations. You even have the articulations' names on your automation lane. Super handy!

Your question makes me realise that I should update the device to add an option to bypass the articulations midi note input from midi controllers to avoid triggering them accidentally. :wink:

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:24 am

Valiumdupeuple wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:30 am
If you have M4L, you might like this device.
Use Push if you have it, or draw automations to set your articulations. You even have the articulations' names on your automation lane. Super handy!

Your question makes me realise that I should update the device to add an option to bypass the articulations midi note input from midi controllers to avoid triggering them accidentally. :wink:
Thanks a lot,I will look into this :) But sadly I can't afford a Push controller :cry:
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:46 pm

Quick update

I have found a neat and very quick way of using articulations,simply by using my old 25 key M Audio Oxygen set for the articulations

And my Akai MPK249 49 keyboard, for chords or the melody.I had one of those Eureka moments while having a coffee :)

simpsondesign

Post by simpsondesign » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:06 pm

One way that I've found useful is to place a MIDI effect rack in front of any instrument which uses articulations/keyswitches. Then, open the keymap view, create keymaps matching the range of the desired articulation, and name it (ie "pizzicato", "tremolo", etc). Finally, right-click your keymap list and select "Show Names in MIDI Editor".

Once you've done this setup, save the MIDI effect rack as a preset and you can drop it in front of your instrument anytime you need to use articulations.

This is a simple and effective solution in my experience.

gralef

Post by gralef » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:46 pm

Hi simpsondesign,
sounds pretty interesting but i don´t really get it yet ;-)
Could you offer an example or a picture please ?