Freeze/Flatten reduced quality?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Endeffekt

Freeze/Flatten reduced quality?

Post by Endeffekt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:38 am

I need to "bounce" my audio files that have effects on them to reduce cpu load.
Can someone explain to me why they appear different(smaller) once flattened? I would like to know if there is a better way to achieve this without negatively altering my samples.

Here are a couple of images to show what im talking about.

https://ibb.co/3YP7Rv7 KICK
https://ibb.co/t3mKGTJ HIHAT

Any tips? :)

chrk

Re: Freeze/Flatten reduced quality?

Post by chrk » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:47 am

The audio fact sheet in the manual lists 32.2.7 Freeze, Flatten under neutral operations. But that compares the results at the track output, while you seem to be comparing the unprocessed sample to the processed one. right now. Tangerines to oranges.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:01 am

Endeffekt wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:38 am
I need to "bounce" my audio files that have effects on them
That should tell you the whole story right there... you are comparing a sound without effects applied and then the same sound after effects were applied. They will always be different, if you applied some change (aka effects).

Endeffekt

Post by Endeffekt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:15 pm

Da hand wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:01 am
Endeffekt wrote:
I need to "bounce" my audio files that have effects on them
That should tell you the whole story right there... you are comparing a sound without effects applied and then the same sound after effects were applied. They will always be different, if you applied some change (aka effects).
I guess I failed to mention that both those samples have the effects applied as I flattened the track and the effects seem to go with them. At least I am assuming they do? Sounds identical as the original with effects. My confusion and question is in regards to the shape of the flattened track. I want to know why they always come out "thinner".

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:49 am

chrk wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:47 am
Tangerines to oranges.
The sample editor of the original does not reflect the effects that come AFTER it.

ozinga

Post by ozinga » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:31 am

This has nothing to do with quality.
Your original wave fiile visual does not reflect the inserted effects. No matter what you insert to the chain you always see the raw waveform as you recorded or dragged to the project.
After you freeze and flatten, you see the effects applied to the waveform permanently(written to the audio file). Hence the difference to the original waveform visual.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:04 pm

Endeffekt wrote:
I need to "bounce" my audio files that have effects on them to reduce cpu load.
Can someone explain to me why they appear different(smaller) once flattened? I would like to know if there is a better way to achieve this without negatively altering my samples.

Here are a couple of images to show what im talking about.

https://ibb.co/3YP7Rv7 KICK
https://ibb.co/t3mKGTJ HIHAT

Any tips? :)
I wouldn't worry about the size of waveform. Freeze & Flatten will make it an exact duplication of playback as it use a 32 bit fp format. This prevents clipping and/or truncation loss as you would need to be recording INSANELY low or high to cause any problems.