Midi clock stopped working

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
KyleL

Midi clock stopped working

Post by KyleL » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:26 pm

I don't know what I did but my synth and drum machine won't receive the midi clock info from ableton. I can control a songs BPM in Ableton from my synth but not the other way around. I can receive and send other midi data just fine but not the temp. The moment I set my synth to external clock the arpeggiator and stuff just goes inert or stays to the internal clock. It worked before and I can't think of anything I changed. I've tried restarting and unplugging everything. I've tried rearranging my set up. I've tried controlling individual pieces of equipment. The only thing I can thing of is either a setting in Ableton that I messed up or a bug. Any help would be appreciated. I'm using Ableton Live 9 and a Korg Micro and a Electribe ER-1.

pottering

Re: Midi clock stopped working

Post by pottering » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:06 am

Check if Sync is enabled in the respective MIDI Output

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/link- ... di-devices
♥♥♥

KyleL

Post by KyleL » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:19 am

Yeah. I've got sync turned on. I've tried turning sync, track, and remote on and off in every conceivable combination just to see if it would change something.

TLW

Post by TLW » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:33 pm

A couple of suggestions -

1. Check the synths are set to receive MIDI clock and act as a slave, not set to respond to their internal clock.

2. Check Live isn’t set to sync to an external MIDI clock source, e.g. whichever of your synths is letting you control Live’s tempo. If any MIDI input has sync switched on in Live’s preferences that could be the cause of your problem.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... e-via-MIDI
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

KyleL

Post by KyleL » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:21 pm

So today the arpeggiator is working when I'm actually recording but otherwise it gives me a just a weird sustain note if the arp is on. If I switch it to auto (as opposed to internal or external) it kind of works but still not great. Ill look into the slave thing - its possible I accidently changed something in the synth settings.