Combine 2 Korg NanoKontrol2 devices

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dirk C

Combine 2 Korg NanoKontrol2 devices

Post by Dirk C » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:16 pm

Here is the thing: I use a Korg NanoKontrol2 controller to make rough mixes in Ableton Live 10. But when I have more than 8 tracks (always!) and I push the key to reach the next 8 tracks I only can do that once, because when I come back to the first 8 tracks, all faders are in the wrong position to fine-tune the first tracks etc.

So, I want to combine 2 of these midi controllers. Only, when I connect them, Ableton recognises only one of them.

What do I have to do to combine two of these controllers (next to another) so that Ableton "sees" one midi controller with 16 faders?

Dirk C

Re: Combine 2 Korg NanoKontrol2 devices

Post by Dirk C » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:02 am

I've tried everything that I could find on internet. The best "solution" was to link one device via a Mackie control surface and the other just link and than define its behaviour via the "midi button" inside Ableton. But even then things went gaga: some sliders took over the action of others etc.

Conclusion: I'm going to buy a 16 channel controller like the Presonus faderport 16. A cheaper solutions should be the Behringer X-Touch compact: the faders adapt to the settings inside Live!

Enough time lost, now more creativity!

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:05 pm

See the section on Takeover Mode in the manual. Set it to Value Scaling and faders and pots will act more like rotary encoders, starting at the current parameter value and changing it in the direction you move the control. It's not WYSIWYG like motorized faders.

Dirk C

Post by Dirk C » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:17 pm

To conclude this subject: there was no real good solution, so I've purchased a Presonus Faderport 16. This means 16 motorised faders and a lot of controls.
I want to be creative without stumbling over technical issues.

Dirk C

Post by Dirk C » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:17 pm

To conclude this subject: there was no real good solution, so I've purchased a Presonus Faderport 16. This means 16 motorised faders and a lot of controls.
I want to be creative without stumbling over technical issues.