looping audio files?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
daniël

looping audio files?

Post by daniël » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:44 pm

hi all,

I'm a beginner and I use intro 9 with a mac and a novation launch control XL....

so I've a public project with those tools.... and I've a question (that I don't find in the manual):

I've have several long audio files that I want to loop in the session (in order to play them when I decide them to be played) , how can I do this, please?

that's all.... quite simple..... maybe not....

hope you find the answer , guys! ;-)
thanX
daniël

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: looping audio files?

Post by [jur] » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:08 pm

Check this video.
It's not directly about looping clips but about warping. It clearly shows where to find the loop button though.
And if you don't want to read the manual you can still watch these videos, and/or go to Live's Help menu > help window and there you'll find many things including integrated lessons which I highly recommend.
Ableton Forum Moderator

daniël

Post by daniël » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:47 pm

thanks for ....

but what I want is very simple: looping my audio files WITHOUT warping the sound, that's all...

how can I do this in the session part of Live.... please?
thanX
daniël

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:29 pm

A few options, none of the options are perfect:

1. If you’re not concerned about which part of the clip loops there is the Follow Action. It’ll simply retrigger a clip or trigger another clip. But it triggers based on increments of bar length with respect to the global tempo.

2. You can use a drum rack loaded with Simpler devices. The Simpler devices can have audio clips unwarped with your own selected loop points. Then you just create midi clips where each midi clip has a note that loops indefinitely.

3. Warp your audio clips. There isn’t much wrong with warping if it is done correctly. However, if you have a unique public display you might have to intentionally warp the clips ‘wrong’. If your set doesn’t change tempo, and you want the clips to retain their original speed and sound quality, then warp it such that the tempo of the warped clip is the same as the global tempo, and don’t use either of the complex warp modes. Then you can work out your loop settings in clip properties.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:26 pm

"but what I want is very simple: looping my audio files WITHOUT warping the sound, that's all..."

You can't

Cheers
D

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:56 am

daniël wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:47 pm
thanks for ....

but what I want is very simple: looping my audio files WITHOUT warping the sound, that's all...

You are probably better looking in Arrange view if you want to loop the old school method as Session is not as geared for this. That said I think using Clip View and Crop can work too.

Keep in mind that an unwarped loop wont follow tempo, so you will have to figure out tempo.

But here are suggestions:

1. Use Clip View, using start and end markers to loop audio. Crop if needed.

2. Use Arrangeview to trim loop. You can always drag back to session when you are done.

3. Use external audio editor such as Audacity to loop.

4. Use Simpler to loop sample (old school hardware sampler way)

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:04 am

daniël wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:47 pm
thanks for ....

Why in particular do you want to not warp by the way?

Keep in mind looping an unwarped clip might take a few minutes in relation to looping a warped clip might take 10-30 secs but it depends on what you are looping.

If you are concerned with loss of sound quality, keep in mind that warping only affects sound quality in the following situations:

1. Using Complex or Complex Pro mode in any circumstance.

2. Changing Pitch of clip.

3. Time correcting or changing warp marker position.

4. Playing warped clip at any tempo other than the clip tempo.