RAM usage

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Razzkazz

RAM usage

Post by Razzkazz » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:22 am

I am setting up a clients Live session for shows. The session can contain up to 50 songs, 1200 files approximately. After loading the session if I check activity monitor (osx) it is using 4.25GB of RAM, on an 8 GB machine.

If I create a new session RAM usage is at 3.46 MB, so it has not released all the data stored RAM. The only way to get all the RAM resources back is to restart Live. Can anyone else confirm this is the case? So in all the testing that I do, adjusting settings in the session, I have to restart Live to measure the change.

In an attempt to reduce RAM usage I deleted the content from 2 tracks (9 track session) that are not ofter used, RAM usage dropped to 3.3 GB, almost 1GB. There are a lot of clips that are Dummy Clips, they have audio on them but there volume is set to 0, this is in order to facilitate Follow Actions. The clips amount to maybe another track's worth of material, possibly more. When I deleted these files RAM usage only dropped by 200 MB. The only explanation I can think for this is that if a clips volume is set to 0, it uses less RAM? Anyone confirm that, that's a strange one?

A lot of the clips use Complex Pro warp mode, and need to. I did do a test and set them to Beats mode and got RAM usage down to 3.37GB from 4.25. A saving but at the cost of sound quality, so I can't really do that.

I tried turning off HiQ on all the clips, but that only released around 200MB.

I have read all Ableton material on optimising sessions/settings/computer. The client is getting a new computer with 16 GB of RAM, but I am still interested in possible ways to optimise the session.

Anyone have any further insight?

If is there is other discussions already related to this topic point me to them, I couldn't find any.

MBP M1 Max, MOTU Ultralite, Faderfox PC4, Akai LPD8, Push, Clyphx Pro
-----------------------------------------------
https://alangleeson.bandcamp.com/

H20nly

Re: RAM usage

Post by H20nly » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:36 am

Do you have a lot of files on your desktop??
If so, move them to somewhere else.

OSX treats every icon on your Desktop like an active window, the more icons and files you have on your Desktop the more memory will be used. If that's where your Live sets are it could be hindering you

Razzkazz

Re: RAM usage

Post by Razzkazz » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:58 am

thanks for the info. No I don't have many items on my desktop, but still something to keep in mind.
MBP M1 Max, MOTU Ultralite, Faderfox PC4, Akai LPD8, Push, Clyphx Pro
-----------------------------------------------
https://alangleeson.bandcamp.com/