Live foot controller other than Behringer?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Henry Robinett
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:20 am
Location: Sacramento, California
Contact:

Live foot controller other than Behringer?

Post by Henry Robinett » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:39 am

Old question, I know. I have a couple of very expensive foot pedals I use for my Fractal Axe Fx III and other guitar stuff. But I need something inexpensive that works well with Ableton to change scenes, clips, etc and is easy to set up. I don't WANT to use Behringer. I just can't do it. Any other suggestions or anyone want to convince me to just get it because it's by far the best for the money? .
All the best,

Henry Robinett
2 MP Quad Core 3.46/10.10.5/32 GB
Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x4) ULN-2
DP 9, Logic, PT,Live 10, Falcon, VEP, Superior Drummer, Slate Drums, Kontakt3, Korg Legacy, UAD-2 Solo&Duo, Millennia HV3D, Lot's 'o mics . . .

chapelier fou
Posts: 4915
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: Live foot controller other than Behringer?

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:37 am

https://nektartech.com/pacer-midi-daw-f ... ontroller/ looks really great.
I've been personally using a Yamaha MCF 10 for years. It's nice but the buttons feel a bit plastic.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

Henry Robinett
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:20 am
Location: Sacramento, California
Contact:

Re: Live foot controller other than Behringer?

Post by Henry Robinett » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:08 pm

Thank you. That nektar pacer looks cool. But I’m wondering. I have a Liquid Foot LF+12+. I’m going to buy the new Fractal controller. The LF is way overqualified and too expensive for the job, but maybe I should just keep it as use that? Hm. I’ll see if I can set it up and try it. I can use it for multi function. The company’s support is terrible though.
All the best,

Henry Robinett
2 MP Quad Core 3.46/10.10.5/32 GB
Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x4) ULN-2
DP 9, Logic, PT,Live 10, Falcon, VEP, Superior Drummer, Slate Drums, Kontakt3, Korg Legacy, UAD-2 Solo&Duo, Millennia HV3D, Lot's 'o mics . . .

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Live foot controller other than Behringer?

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:08 pm

Been using the KMI Softstep since it came out and love it. The programming flexibility, super thin profile, and durability has been wonderful. Check one out!
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

H20nly
Posts: 15836
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Live foot controller other than Behringer?

Post by H20nly » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:30 pm

i've been using a Logidy UMI3 for years and it works flawlessly... it helps that it's built like a tank too

http://logidy.com/?pid=1

there's only 3 buttons, but you can daisy chain multiple units together if you need more.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

EnjoyRC
Posts: 687
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:02 am
Location: USA

Re: Live foot controller other than Behringer?

Post by EnjoyRC » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:54 pm

+1 for the Nektar Pacer. Use it in production every week. Rock solid. Feels great under your foot.
https://nektartech.com/pacer-midi-daw-f ... ontroller/

Used Keith McMillen's Softstep 2 for a couple of years before the Nektar Pacer got released. It required far too much looking down at it. Easy to push the wrong thing.
MacBook Pro (MacOS 10.14.x) Surface Pro (Win 10)
(STUDIO I/O) MOTU UltraLite mk4 (w/ADA8200), (LIVE I/O) Behringer X Air XR18
Ableton Live Suite 10, Reason 10, Studio One 4

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Live foot controller other than Behringer?

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:16 pm

EnjoyRC wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:54 pm

Used Keith McMillen's Softstep 2 for a couple of years before the Nektar Pacer got released. It required far too much looking down at it. Easy to push the wrong thing.
I know exactly what you mean. I'm still using the 1st version and not only do you have to look down, you end up pressing the pads with your tippy toes in order to avoid accidentally hitting another pad. It looks like some delicate ballarina warm-up routine. Not very rock and roll at all, lol.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

TLW
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:37 am

Re: Live foot controller other than Behringer?

Post by TLW » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:38 am

There’s also Roland’s FC-300, though that’s aimed ar controlling their guitar synths as well as being a MIDI controller.

To be honest the Behringer controller is actually pretty good. It’s been around a long time and has outlived many competitors. Sometimes even Behringer get it right.
Live 10.1 Suite, M4L, 2014/15 MacBook Pro 15.3” Retina i7, OS Mojave 10.14.5. RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

Machinesworking
Posts: 11093
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Live foot controller other than Behringer?

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:52 am

Henry Robinett wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:39 am
I don't WANT to use Behringer. I just can't do it. Any other suggestions or anyone want to convince me to just get it because it's by far the best for the money? .
The FCB 1010 is single handedly the best thing Behringer has ever done MIDI or otherwise. I sold mine because I got NI Rig Kontrol, which is discontinued. My only complaint about it was/is the looseness of the expression/CC pedals, but beyond that it's as good as it gets pedal wise.

Don't get me wrong, I understand not liking Behringers overall quantity over quality approach, but this is their best product IMO.
What other pedalboard is giving you two pedals and 10 switches assignable to pretty much anything for even three times the price?

fishmonkey
Posts: 4088
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: Live foot controller other than Behringer?

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:43 am

i have mixed feelings about the FCB1010.

they are good value for sure. but for me way too chunky and heavy, and the stock firmware is a bit clunky.

i have a SoftStep 2 now, but do like the look of the Nektar Pacer too.
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

Machinesworking
Posts: 11093
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Live foot controller other than Behringer?

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:42 am

fishmonkey wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:43 am
i have mixed feelings about the FCB1010.

they are good value for sure. but for me way too chunky and heavy, and the stock firmware is a bit clunky.

i have a SoftStep 2 now, but do like the look of the Nektar Pacer too.

Depeche Mode road the tube with their ancient keyboards to practices gigs etc. :x

Just teasing, but it's 100% a Ableton user thing it seams to want everything lite and tiny??
No other music forum I visits has as many users commenting on the size of a device, or the weight of a laptop etc.
I have this image that the entire fanbase is 80lb folks who work in offices all day and have bad backs. :lol:

fishmonkey
Posts: 4088
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: Live foot controller other than Behringer?

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:16 am

nah, for me it's that the size and bulk is out-of-proportion to the functionality provided. also, when you travel a lot size and weight does matter.

as for Depeche Mode, i reckon the copious amounts of drugs made lugging all that gear easier, haha.
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

Henry Robinett
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:20 am
Location: Sacramento, California
Contact:

Re: Live foot controller other than Behringer?

Post by Henry Robinett » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:16 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:52 am
Henry Robinett wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:39 am
I don't WANT to use Behringer. I just can't do it. Any other suggestions or anyone want to convince me to just get it because it's by far the best for the money? .
The FCB 1010 is single handedly the best thing Behringer has ever done MIDI or otherwise. I sold mine because I got NI Rig Kontrol, which is discontinued. My only complaint about it was/is the looseness of the expression/CC pedals, but beyond that it's as good as it gets pedal wise.

Don't get me wrong, I understand not liking Behringers overall quantity over quality approach, but this is their best product IMO.
What other pedalboard is giving you two pedals and 10 switches assignable to pretty much anything for even three times the price?
Well the FAMC Liquid Foot for one. I might keep it after all. I think, if their customer service was better, it's the best and most versatile midi foot controller out there. It doesn't have the pedals but I have an overabundance of good expression pedals already. 12 fully assignable switches, each with their label display reminding you what they're for. And each label can be individually colorized for quick locating.

I just think the LF+12+ is overqualified for the job. I think my needs are modest. But no. I can't do Behringer.
All the best,

Henry Robinett
2 MP Quad Core 3.46/10.10.5/32 GB
Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x4) ULN-2
DP 9, Logic, PT,Live 10, Falcon, VEP, Superior Drummer, Slate Drums, Kontakt3, Korg Legacy, UAD-2 Solo&Duo, Millennia HV3D, Lot's 'o mics . . .

Machinesworking
Posts: 11093
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Live foot controller other than Behringer?

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:34 pm

Henry Robinett wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:16 pm
Well the FAMC Liquid Foot for one. I might keep it after all. I think, if their customer service was better, it's the best and most versatile midi foot controller out there. It doesn't have the pedals but I have an overabundance of good expression pedals already. 12 fully assignable switches, each with their label display reminding you what they're for. And each label can be individually colorized for quick locating.

I just think the LF+12+ is overqualified for the job. I think my needs are modest. But no. I can't do Behringer.
You can't say the Liquid foot is as good of a value if it doesn't have the same amount of control. You're using foot pedals that you like and you want something cheaper, (why I don't know?), yet the best cheapest is not good enough. Dating you must be fun. :?

Henry Robinett
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:20 am
Location: Sacramento, California
Contact:

Re: Live foot controller other than Behringer?

Post by Henry Robinett » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:43 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:34 pm
Henry Robinett wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:16 pm
Well the FAMC Liquid Foot for one. I might keep it after all. I think, if their customer service was better, it's the best and most versatile midi foot controller out there. It doesn't have the pedals but I have an overabundance of good expression pedals already. 12 fully assignable switches, each with their label display reminding you what they're for. And each label can be individually colorized for quick locating.

I just think the LF+12+ is overqualified for the job. I think my needs are modest. But no. I can't do Behringer.
You can't say the Liquid foot is as good of a value if it doesn't have the same amount of control. You're using foot pedals that you like and you want something cheaper, (why I don't know?), yet the best cheapest is not good enough. Dating you must be fun. :?
What are you talking about? The LF has more control than anything I can imagine. It's just OVER Qualified for what I need it to do with Live. I CAN program it to do both Live and Axe Fx III. I might do that. But I'm getting the new controller for the Axe Fx III. I was planning on selling the LF and getting a cheaper, less complicated, less feature rich one for Live. But I don't know. As I said I might keep it. Since you can get it to do anything programming it can be a chore. It has a great editor. But as I said customer service is terrible. That's one of the reasons I want to bolt. I just don't feel like supporting them any more. But saying that there's nothing better than the Behringer at any price point is a bit much . Hence my post.

Dating? I've been married for 30 years. Very happily. So I'm not hard to please. I just want what I need.
All the best,

Henry Robinett
2 MP Quad Core 3.46/10.10.5/32 GB
Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x4) ULN-2
DP 9, Logic, PT,Live 10, Falcon, VEP, Superior Drummer, Slate Drums, Kontakt3, Korg Legacy, UAD-2 Solo&Duo, Millennia HV3D, Lot's 'o mics . . .

Post Reply