Ableton not saving recording PROBLEM

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
tomf

Ableton not saving recording PROBLEM

Post by tomf » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi,

I've been recording in Live 10, when i finish the recording, it plays the file back, but when i go to the file itself in the recorded folder in that project, it says 0KB and there is nothing there!

This keeps happening lately, some recordings are fine, others just show Zero KB, but i know they have recorded, i can see the waveform.

To be honest I'm about done with ableton, live 10 has been nothing but problems.

Tarekith

Re: Ableton not saving recording PROBLEM

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:23 pm

Try right clicking on the recording in Live and choosing "Show In Finder".

Does that work correctly?

tomf

Post by tomf » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:25 pm

hey thanks for your reply.

No, its greyed out, that and 'show in browser'

something wrong is happening here, because if i then delete those files and clips, then start recording again, it records no problem.

Its defiantly recording because i can see the waveform, and it even plays back in the clip - but as soon as i exit live and come back to it, it says 'sample offline'

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:08 pm

Before you close Live after recording, try saving the project to a new location and then choosing "Collect All and Save".

tomf

Post by tomf » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:14 pm

Tried it, as soon as I did that live crashed.

That’s not the solution anyway here. Because Like I said if I start a fresh recording, it doesn’t record properly - if I then scrap them files and start another recording, it’s records ok.

It’s a total waste of time. I can’t trust the program is going to record properly.

I’ve tried starting new projects, same thing happens.

TLW

Post by TLW » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:40 pm

It may or may not be the cause of your problem, but I suggest checking whichever drive you are saving to for errors or other hardware problems. I’ve seen similar problems with saving files on drives which were starting to fail.

Checking the system logs for file saving/disk errors or repeated attempts by the OS to save the same file might be useful as well.

Assuming you’ve more than one drive see if Live can save projects and audio to a different drive than the one it’s currently using is worth trying as well. If there’s no problem using a different drive then suspect hardware issues with the first one.
Live 10.1 Suite, M4L, 2014/15 MacBook Pro 15.3” Retina i7, OS Mojave 10.14.5. RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

tomf

Post by tomf » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:45 pm

I hear that thanks.

I’m 99% sure it’s not the drive though because when I load any other ableton projects they save fine, and I do a LOT of recording.

I can’t figure it out. Like I say, I’ve tried a new project but then it does it in that too.

It’s like it’s because I’m using certain plugins or the way they’re grouped. Not sure.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:57 pm

In Preferences, on the 'File Folder' tab under the Temporary Folder section, you have the directory listed that is being used for storing files...

It could be that you need to change that location or that the location is inundated with too many files. You could try cleaning it out and/or pointing to a new folder.

Based on what you were saying about deleting the files and starting to record again working...
Another thought is that there is an issue with your default template. It could be worth overwriting that template by creating a new set and configuring everything (without recording anything) and then setting it as your new 'default template'. You would do this in the same place in Preferences referenced above.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.