Ableton not saving recording PROBLEM

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fastfx

Ableton not saving recording PROBLEM

Post by fastfx » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi,

I've been recording in Live 10, when i finish the recording, it plays the file back, but when i go to the file itself in the recorded folder in that project, it says 0KB and there is nothing there!

This keeps happening lately, some recordings are fine, others just show Zero KB, but i know they have recorded, i can see the waveform.

To be honest I'm about done with ableton, live 10 has been nothing but problems.

Tarekith

Re: Ableton not saving recording PROBLEM

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:23 pm

Try right clicking on the recording in Live and choosing "Show In Finder".

Does that work correctly?
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

fastfx

Post by fastfx » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:25 pm

hey thanks for your reply.

No, its greyed out, that and 'show in browser'

something wrong is happening here, because if i then delete those files and clips, then start recording again, it records no problem.

Its defiantly recording because i can see the waveform, and it even plays back in the clip - but as soon as i exit live and come back to it, it says 'sample offline'

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:08 pm

Before you close Live after recording, try saving the project to a new location and then choosing "Collect All and Save".
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

fastfx

Post by fastfx » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:14 pm

Tried it, as soon as I did that live crashed.

That’s not the solution anyway here. Because Like I said if I start a fresh recording, it doesn’t record properly - if I then scrap them files and start another recording, it’s records ok.

It’s a total waste of time. I can’t trust the program is going to record properly.

I’ve tried starting new projects, same thing happens.

TLW

Post by TLW » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:40 pm

It may or may not be the cause of your problem, but I suggest checking whichever drive you are saving to for errors or other hardware problems. I’ve seen similar problems with saving files on drives which were starting to fail.

Checking the system logs for file saving/disk errors or repeated attempts by the OS to save the same file might be useful as well.

Assuming you’ve more than one drive see if Live can save projects and audio to a different drive than the one it’s currently using is worth trying as well. If there’s no problem using a different drive then suspect hardware issues with the first one.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

fastfx

Post by fastfx » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:45 pm

I hear that thanks.

I’m 99% sure it’s not the drive though because when I load any other ableton projects they save fine, and I do a LOT of recording.

I can’t figure it out. Like I say, I’ve tried a new project but then it does it in that too.

It’s like it’s because I’m using certain plugins or the way they’re grouped. Not sure.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:57 pm

In Preferences, on the 'File Folder' tab under the Temporary Folder section, you have the directory listed that is being used for storing files...

It could be that you need to change that location or that the location is inundated with too many files. You could try cleaning it out and/or pointing to a new folder.

Based on what you were saying about deleting the files and starting to record again working...
Another thought is that there is an issue with your default template. It could be worth overwriting that template by creating a new set and configuring everything (without recording anything) and then setting it as your new 'default template'. You would do this in the same place in Preferences referenced above.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

ZebraMan

Post by ZebraMan » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:16 am

I don't mean to be one of those people that says "+1" or something like that, but wanted to confirm that I have experienced the same behavior.. seems to me like a bug. My suspicion is that some files come out corrupted, or just take some processing time.

I've seen "Zero bytes" in the Recordings folder come up often, and once one file is Zero bytes, likely the subsequent files will come out that way. As the last person said, I've also seen the Zero bytes change to the actual bytes once another recording is started. For files with Zero bytes, when moved to another folder, they will come out as 80 bytes, and when attempting to open those files, there's an RIFF header problem. There's something hanging in this process that I think should probably be corrected with engineering rather than an individual workaround. I've contacted Live support about this and will come write here if I can find a solution to this..

jamessy

Post by jamessy » Tue May 19, 2020 9:55 am

hey kinda late to this but i just got the error as well so i went looking for a solution.

i can't confirm that this is the solution but in my case i was working in the session view, and i disabled the red 'back to arrangement' button and that seemed to fix it.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed May 20, 2020 2:30 am

Thanks for posting your solution - someone will definitely thank you at some point in the future! Cheers, mate!

Saigronas

Post by Saigronas » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:26 pm

Yes I'm having the EXACT same problem as layed out here. It's extremely frustrating to the point where it's not worth using Ableton moving forward, and seems like something the devs definitely should look into. I can't rely on a program for producing music that sometimes just deletes my project and completely discards it without any kind of warning or reason.

3 separate projects i've started the last 2 weeks have gone 0byte on me, including the exported audio I saved as a backup in case the project would go AWOL on me.

UJ-1

Post by UJ-1 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:12 am

Happening to me too. I'm recording 15-17 channels from an X32 over USB. Sometimes it works fine. Sometimes I get a couple channels that are ok. Sometimes every channel is an empty wav file. Super frustrating when you've just recorded 1.5hours worth of live performance.

midazzz

Post by midazzz » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:47 pm

Yooo!

I have exactly the same problem! Very frustrating indeed, I only have it on one project and one particular track though. Just a regular audio track, nothing fancy, everything else works fine thus far.

looprication

Post by looprication » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:53 am

Hey All,

Happened to me for the first time tonight after updating to 10.1.30 (I'd been running a version from November 2019 until tonight).

In my case, I had to just click on the Back To Arrangement button to allow me to save.

hth!

Cheers,

-Maashu
My site
February Album Writing Month stuff
Mac Mini 2020 (M1 / Big Sur)
Focusrite 18i20 / Roland A-37 / Oxygen 8 v2 / MidiSport 4x4
Live 11.1 (Rosetta) 11.2 (silicon) / NI Komplete 12 / Reason 12
Lotsa modular stuff
Moog Matriarch