APC40 not showing up in Input/Output sections.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jlanpheer

APC40 not showing up in Input/Output sections.

Post by jlanpheer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:57 am

I've had an Akai APC40 (NOT the Mk II version) for some time, and have been using it for years, but it's been sitting idly for a few months and now i'm doing some Ableton work and can't get Ableton to recognize that the APC40 is connected. I'm working on a Mac, running High Sierra 10.13.6. As it is, the APC40 powers up, but i'm just getting running lights flashing around the screen and the device is unresponsive. So, i'm in the MIDI section in preferences.....

The setup instructions say simply to set up a line in your MIDI preferences with "APC40" as your (1) Control Surface, (2) Input and (3) Output. The problem is that i CAN select APC40 as my Control Surface, however when i click the dropdown box for either Input or Output, the APC40 is not an option to choose from. See the attached screenshot to see exactly what i'm talking about. It's my understanding that the APC40 should show up as one of those options. I'm hooked up directly from the APC40 to my Mac via USB, no issues there. I see no reason why it shouldn't show up (and like i said, this has always been working for me before).

Anybody encounter this?
thanks,
jim.

Headstash Music

Re: APC40 not showing up in Input/Output sections.

Post by Headstash Music » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:13 pm

Did you ever get that figured out? I have the exact same issue, word for word! APC40 worked great, I wouldn't even have to enter anything in the Control Surface Pref it would just recognize it. I put it away for a while and when I plugged it back in no red bar around the tracks on Ableton indicating its working with the APC40. I went through the exact same steps, watched Youtube videos, and they said click APC40 for control surface, in and out, yet it only appears on control surface. For in and out my choices are none, Automap Midi, or my keyboard, but no APC 40. Like I said before it didnt matter if I did this it was just plug and play. Ive tried 2 different cables. Cheers

projectink

Re: APC40 not showing up in Input/Output sections.

Post by projectink » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:50 pm

I'm getting exactly the same issue in Ableton Live v11 with my APC40 which I've had for years - no recognition of MIDI input or output in Preferences and I just get a spinning snake on my APC40.

I've tried a new APC40 power supply which I bought online, a new USB chord, I even bought a new USB hub, unplugging all of my other MIDI devices and tried going to AUDIO MIDI SETUP on my Mac to refresh and rescan for MIDI ports/devices but MIDI from the APC40 still isn't being recognised by Live.

Is it some kind of issue in v11? I had it working in versions 8-10 for years. Otherwise, maybe the MIDI connection or something inside the APC40 is faulty or some other kind of APC40 issue? My Mac USB ports are fine and work with my other controllers.

The problem is, I can't find my receipt for it to contact Akai customer support as I bought it so long ago and have moved house twice since then. Any final things to try?