your export options for mix down/master?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
attack or decay

your export options for mix down/master?

Post by attack or decay » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:17 am

i have recently started to experiment with different settings.

what are your go to settings for the best export on a mix down/ master and why?

i have mine set at 24 bit, 44100hz, no dither, no normalize.

is dither optional for a master?
can the human ear hear the difference between 24bit and 32bit?

Artcutech

Re: your export options for mix down/master?

Post by Artcutech » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:14 am

I only dither when I need to release something and it has to be brought down to 16-bit 44k (I use triangular option most times) otherwise for me there's no point, I keep everything at 24-bit 48k all the way, not sure if the human ear can tell the difference between 24-bit and 32-bit, I know 32 bit has the ability not to clip but I don't use it and others on here might shed much more light about that

I NEVER use normalize on the export page for a mix( it's important to make sure everything is taken care of on each track/group just how you want it) I rarely use normalize on samples from time to time within simpler or sampler, by right clicking on the sample at then clicking normalize, but if the samples are recorded properly theres absolutely no need to use it, for me at least

jlgrimes

Re: your export options for mix down/master?

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:28 am

attack or decay wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:17 am

can the human ear hear the difference between 24bit and 32bit?
In normal circumstances, I doubt it.

The main difference is 32 bit practically eliminates clipping or truncation loss.

Probably better to export at 32 bit but that said most mastering houses still promotes 24 bit as it is more compatible and as long as you dont clip or export ridiculously low is undetectable from 16 bit audio.