backing tracks mixdown from scene

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
masleo

backing tracks mixdown from scene

Post by masleo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:48 pm

Perhaps you have experience and could help me out....

I have a PC laptop. 32 megs ram, two ssd's
I am using Ableton solely for playing backing tracks live
I have 8 tracks. 1 audio rendered click track, 1 audio cue track, and 6 audio music tracks.
I record or import the 8 audio tracks into arrangement view and make them "followers"
Then I create a silent tempo track, loop it to the length of the song, and make it "master" with the right tempo.
After I make sure everything is aligned correctly, I choose Consolidate to New Scene
I leave a few empty bars in arrangement view and start the next song and continue the process.
So now in session view, I have all the songs, each in their own scene. It's awesome! Now I have a single page where I can launch any song any time. ...

Question 1: I've got a bunch of songs in there. The file in arrangement view is long - about a hour and if I continue this way it will probably double. Is the big file length a problem for ableton as far as crashing or cpu use when used live? Should I be doing something different that would be more efficient or easier?

Question 2: When I play back the scenes from session view, I've been adjusting the mix by adjusting the clip volume for each clip to get a good mix. What I want to do now is make an emergency 2 track mix in case of computer failure. I want to take those 8 tracks for each song that I have balanced out in session view and import them to a stereo track with 2 tracks panned hard left and 6 tracks panned hard right. When I choose "export" I am not figuring out how to select only one scene for export. I understand the routing - it's the export function I'm trying to understand and what it does when in session view vs arrangement. I could go back into arrangement view, but if I export from here, will it remember the mods I made to the clip volume in session view?

Thanks for your time,
Thom Huntington