Best beginner/intermediate hardware synths

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
clayton.dickmann

Best beginner/intermediate hardware synths

Post by clayton.dickmann » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:05 pm

I make a lot of Electro House, Bass House, and Deep House music, but only use soft synths/VSTs as of now. I would love to begin incorporating a hard synth into my productions. Anyone have any suggestions on good starter synths to look at (unfortunately I don't have 2k to drop on a prophet...).

I've looked a bit at the Korg MS20. Does anyone have feedback on this synth, or have any suggestions for others?

Thanks ya'll!

Angstrom

Re: Best beginner/intermediate hardware synths

Post by Angstrom » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:17 pm

Ive had an MS20 for many years and while its a great synth full of personality I wouldnt say its NOT the ideal first synth. Its ideosyncratic, dirty, wild, it needs some know-how to figure out the patching, its not ideal for live performances.

Its great, but as perhaps a second or 3rd synth.

If I was looking for a first monosynth on a budget I'd probably go for an Arturia Minibrute 2. Or a 2s.
It has the dirt of an MS20, some patchability but in a more modern way, it has some fancy features. The 2s having the cool sequencer. These synths have a wider sonic palette then the MS20. From metalic to fat, to ripping.

If I was looking for a first analog poly on a budget it would either be the deepmind 12 which is now crazy value for money withe all that hands on analogue goodness and the effects too, or the Korg Minilogue

clayton.dickmann

Post by clayton.dickmann » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:26 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:17 pm
Ive had an MS20 for many years and while its a great synth full of personality I wouldnt say its NOT the ideal first synth. Its ideosyncratic, dirty, wild, it needs some know-how to figure out the patching, its not ideal for live performances.

Its great, but as perhaps a second or 3rd synth.

If I was looking for a first monosynth on a budget I'd probably go for an Arturia Minibrute 2. Or a 2s.
It has the dirt of an MS20, some patchability but in a more modern way, it has some fancy features. The 2s having the cool sequencer. These synths have a wider sonic palette then the MS20. From metalic to fat, to ripping.

If I was looking for a first analog poly on a budget it would either be the deepmind 12 which is now crazy value for money withe all that hands on analogue goodness and the effects too, or the Korg Minilogue

Awesome! Thanks for the tips. I love a lot of the dirty/fat bass sounds, which would be primarily what I would use the synth for. Do you like the Arturias capability in that aspect?

DSGN

Post by DSGN » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:26 pm

That Arturia would definitely get you going. If you want a bit more versatility, the korg minilogues are worth a look too