Crossover rack with a macro in Hz

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Exie

Crossover rack with a macro in Hz

Post by Exie » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:01 pm

I'm trying to create 2-band crossover rack, map crossover frequency to rack macro and display a value in Hz.

The problem is that none of Live built-in devices seem to be able to provide a decent crossover without phase issues. EQ8 is clean but isn't suited well and can't sum to flat. EQ3 is colored even with flat response selected. Multiband Dynamics filters are even worse.

I'm using VST plugins for splitting, this does the trick but I cannot map plugin's frequency parameter to a macro with meaningful value in Hz, it's displayed as 0-127. This requires to keep plugin GUI opened and prevents from entering precise values.

Am I missing something? Are there M4L devices that can help with splitting or parameter mapping?

Exie

Re: Crossover rack with a macro in Hz

Post by Exie » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:12 pm

Ended with the same trick as suggested here, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=230615 . Used VST linear EQ and used dummy EQ8 instance to provide labels for a macro in Hz. Fortunately, both EQ8 and VST parameter had logarithmic scale that matched.

Fanu

Re: Crossover rack with a macro in Hz

Post by Fanu » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:13 am

Exie wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:01 pm
The problem is that none of Live built-in devices seem to be able to provide a decent crossover without phase issues. EQ8 is clean but isn't suited well and can't sum to flat. EQ3 is colored even with flat response selected. Multiband Dynamics filters are even worse.
This is because all those devices are minimum phase, and you're probably looking for a linear phase plug-in.