latency with the multi-function button on looper device?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
danny klim

latency with the multi-function button on looper device?

Post by danny klim » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:02 am

Hey, I'm wondering does the multi function button for the looper device introduce any latency? If so, how much? If not, how does it work?

I've been starting to use the looper in an unquantized freeform way where precise timing is essential. It seems to work well and respond immediately, but I'm still getting the feel for the timing and I'm wondering if there is any latency introduced by the multi function button.

Specifically, how does the multi function button differentiate a single tap (which start/stops recording) from a double tap (which stops play back)? Is there a delay built-in after the first button press to allow it to see if there is a second button press? If so, that would need to introduce a small amount of latency right? If so, how much?

Or if there's no delay, then how does it differentiate a single button press from a multiple button press?

Thanks,
Dan

yur2die4

Re: latency with the multi-function button on looper device?

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:26 pm

Single, first tap is instant (well, aside from standard audio latency which has a few factors to consider). It is not acceptable for there to be a delay for the function of the first tap, so it always acts immediately and acts out the process of the first tap no matter what.

The second tap, it is acceptable to perform that function a little delayed. So the first process happens, and if the second tap happens then that interrupts the initial process and does the new process.