Can anyone suggest how to duplicate a particular guitar?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
VulcanCCIT

Can anyone suggest how to duplicate a particular guitar?

Post by VulcanCCIT » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:44 am

I am very new to Ableton and just have the live 10 version that came with my Novation LaunchKey 61. I want to recreate the song "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot... at the beginning of this video and at about 1:47 is an electric guitar... I would love to reproduce that via the LaunchKey and Ableton. Not sure if it is possible with the default instrument rack but perhaps a plugin or something I can buy? Any help would be awesome and I thank you in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3x2vcergP0

Thank you!
-Chuck

doghouse

Re: Can anyone suggest how to duplicate a particular guitar?

Post by doghouse » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:51 am

First of all, getting synths and samplers to sound like realistic guitars is very difficult.

The sound itself is nothing difficult to emulate, just an electric guitar through a phaser or chorus.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:35 pm

I've spent 20+ years enjoying making sounds on synths and I love to make patches and I have yet to make a convincing guitar sound on a synth.

There are a few Guitar sample collections (with gestures) which I've used to block out songs late at night. I have an old one for Kontakt with a bunch of acoustic strums which is actually pretty good. There's probably one for plucked hollowbody semi-acoustics somewhere. That Lightfoot song has quite simple parts so I bet with some kind of Kontakt "Vintage electric guitar" it might sound passable until attempting the whammy bar bits.

But emulating real instruments in synths is never gonna get you there. It will always sound cheap and phony.

My advice is if you like this kind of music: Just get a semi-decent used guitar, no need for a big name brand, get a friend to show you the rudiments of how to hold it, string it, tune it, etc. and dedicate yourself to an online course.
In a year you'll be able to play a few simple songs on guitar.

VulcanCCIT

Post by VulcanCCIT » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:04 pm

I totally appreciate the responses! Good to know it would be pretty hard to create exactly. After watching that video again I think what I hear is actually one of those slide guitars, some sort of steel guitar that lays down. Good idea on the guitar in leaning it... im still learning the piano but all in good time. Thank you all!!!!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:14 pm

VulcanCCIT wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:04 pm
I totally appreciate the responses! Good to know it would be pretty hard to create exactly. After watching that video again I think what I hear is actually one of those slide guitars, some sort of steel guitar that lays down. Good idea on the guitar in leaning it... im still learning the piano but all in good time. Thank you all!!!!
The guitar you are talking about is called "lap steel". They range from really very cheap to very expensive and great. To play them well is very difficult, to play them adequately is do-able.
I got myself a dirt cheap chinese one and it does me just fine for the rare times I need it. I just record 100 takes and pick the best one. :lol:

VulcanCCIT

Post by VulcanCCIT » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:24 pm

lol that is how I am on the piano right now haha!

chrk

Post by chrk » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:15 am

No lap steel guitar has been harmed in the production of that video.