Behringer X32 causing Ableton midi out unstability on windows

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mazmith

Behringer X32 causing Ableton midi out unstability on windows

Post by mazmith » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:00 am

*edit: my main laptop is a windows 10 machine. i just tested on my macbook pro and it must be caused by the windows X-USB Driver for the X32. No problems on the Macbook Pro...

I am looking for anyone who has used a Behringer X32 as an audio interface while Ableton midi sequences outboard gear. I have spent the last few days trying to incorporate a Behringer X32 audio interface/mixer into my midi based studio and have found a serious issue. The X32 hooked up via usb as an audio interface causes unstable/jittery outgoing midi from Ableton to my hardware synths/drum machines/sequencers.

I have turned off all midi communication from/to the X32 in its preferences and as a precaution redirected it from usb to the midi in/outs which aren't connected.

In troubleshooting, I have unplugged everything from the laptop except the x32 via usb (no hub) and a usb midi interface with one midi out directly to a drum machine. I have tried both of my midi interfaces, each time the midi interface was directly connected to the laptop (no usb hubs) with no luck.

If I then unplug the X32 usb connection from the laptop and choose the laptops internal soundcard in Ableton, the midi out from Ableton to my hardware corrects itself. I have no idea what to do to fix this... Help! Thank you!
ASUS GL553VE- i7 2.81gHz 32gb RAM Win10 64 bit Live 10 standard
Behringer X32, Microlite 5x5, midisport 4x4, APC40
Deluge, Beatstep Pro, keystep, SQ-1
Voyager, Prophet 6, JX-3P, JX-8P, BSII, Minibrute, MB33, Eurorack
DRM1, TR-505, HR-16, Rhythm Wolf, RX15

JackTheRipper

Re: Behringer X32 causing Ableton midi out unstability on windows

Post by JackTheRipper » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:31 pm

I don't have any direct experience with the X32 (I have an X32 Rack, but don't interface it with Ableton), but I have read in other forums about users having issues with audio interfaces and USB 3.0 ports when the audio device is USB 2.0 compatible. If you are using a USB 3.0 port on your laptop, maybe try a USB 2.0 port and see if that helps. I know they're supposed to be backwards compatible, but wouldn't hurt to try if you have a USB 2.0 port available.

--jack

mazmith

Re: Behringer X32 causing Ableton midi out unstability on windows

Post by mazmith » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:07 pm

thanks jack. before i saw your response, i just decided to use the MBP for midi sync duties and the pc for tracking audio. it works perfectly and it feels nice to work in smaller templates
ASUS GL553VE- i7 2.81gHz 32gb RAM Win10 64 bit Live 10 standard
Behringer X32, Microlite 5x5, midisport 4x4, APC40
Deluge, Beatstep Pro, keystep, SQ-1
Voyager, Prophet 6, JX-3P, JX-8P, BSII, Minibrute, MB33, Eurorack
DRM1, TR-505, HR-16, Rhythm Wolf, RX15