Pops in Live10 when copying certain clips

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AuToMaTiK

Pops in Live10 when copying certain clips

Post by AuToMaTiK » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:47 pm

In one project.....

I pasted a sample loop in arrangement view , and copied it a few times.....no problems.

In another project, I pasted the *same* loop in and copied it for about 16 measures.......and it popped at the beginning of every measure.

I tried everything, all the tricks, RAM, buffer settings, every solution ever mentioned in any forum, and no luck.

Eventually I edited the sample itself, saved a new version with a short manual fade in at the beginning. That worked.

However, it still boggles me that this particular sample behaves incorrectly in just this one project- I can put it into others and it's fine. Yes, it's a big project, but my CPU usage is low, I have fast SSDs, 32GB of RAM, and other samples work fine in it. It's a bit maddening.

Any ideas?

chrk

Re: Pops in Live10 when copying certain clips

Post by chrk » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:20 pm

Why duplicate a single clip?

If it's warped it can be looped. You drop it into an audio track in arrangement view and just drag out the clip boundary over the desired number of bars.
AuToMaTiK wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:47 pm
Eventually I edited the sample itself, saved a new version with a short manual fade in at the beginning. That worked.
In arrangement view fades are a funcion of the clip itself. When the track is expanded vertically, just hover your mouse over the clip's block and those four little squares are visible in the corners. You can move the top ones inwards to mark the fade's length.

Then there's the fades option on the record/warp/lanuch page of Live's preferences. When activated, Live will add a very short fade (quickhelp says about 4ms) to every sample you drag in. Very probalby your loop popped in the new set, because this was off.

AuToMaTiK

Re: Pops in Live10 when copying certain clips

Post by AuToMaTiK » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:31 am

That's a good tip- i'm aware of that function. However i typically edit clips in arrangement view in various ways, shortening some, adjusting pitch, etc, and its been generally easier to deal with them as individual sections. Since i haven't really run into issues with this method except in this instance, it has worked fine. Like I mentioned, in other projects, the very same clip behaved normally- its just in this one project that it did not. I'm just curious as to why, even though the problem has been solved with the workaround.