Content is Different Between Session & Arrangement Views?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bobcharest

Content is Different Between Session & Arrangement Views?

Post by bobcharest » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:02 pm

Hi,

My first post here - I've found a bunch of helpful things on the forum already. I've also watched a number of YouTube videos that have been very helpful.

I'm creating backing tracks that I want to trigger with Ableton, but have run into something that has me stumped.

If I drag the same audio files into both session view and arrangement view, when I go into arrangement view, the tracks are greyed out, and there is that arrow to the right on each track "Single Track Back To Arrangement" indicating that the content between the two views is different.

I'm primarily using arrangement view to place locators, but I thought that the content should be the same, and I should be able to triggers tracks from either view.

If I've missed something obvious please let me know as I'm confused by this.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Fanu

Re: Content is Different Between Session & Arrangement Views?

Post by Fanu » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:39 pm

Those gray arrows as well as the orange Back To Arrangement icon does not mean that the content differs: it means that your current playback does not reflect what's on the arrangement 100% – playback differs from what's on the arrangement in some way…something is different (e.g., something is playing from session view, maybe you've overridden some automation saved on the arrangement, etc).
So, what the Back To Arrangement icon does is it brings playback 100% back to arrangement, and the gray arrows do that, but to tracks only.

Manual p. 44:
"At any one time, a track can be playing either a Session clip or an Arrangement clip, but never both. So, who wins? When a Session clip is launched, the respective track stops whatever it is doing to play that clip. In particular, if the track was playing an Arrangement clip, it will stop it in favor of the Session clip — even as the other tracks continue to play what is in the Arrangement. The track will not resume Arrangement playback until explicitly told to do so.
This is what the Back to Arrangement button is for, which is found in the Master Track in the Ses- sion View and at the top-right of the scrub area in the Arrangement View. This button lights up to indicate that one or more tracks are currently not playing the Arrangement, but are playing a clip from the Session instead."

bobcharest

Post by bobcharest » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:47 pm

Thank you, Fanu... That clears up my misconception. It's not that the content (audio files) are different.

I thought these two views reflected on and played the same data from a shared transport. I clear on it now.

I did some testing and found that while playing from sessions view, if I click on the marker/locator I placed on the arrangement view timeline, the session view playback went to that locator spot to keep playing.

Thanks again for taking the time to help a newcomer!

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:29 am

bobcharest wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:47 pm
Thank you, Fanu... That clears up my misconception. It's not that the content (audio files) are different.

I thought these two views reflected on and played the same data from a shared transport. I clear on it now.

I did some testing and found that while playing from sessions view, if I click on the marker/locator I placed on the arrangement view timeline, the session view playback went to that locator spot to keep playing.

Thanks again for taking the time to help a newcomer!
No probs, buddy…hope it works well for your needs now :)

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:09 pm

To add to what was already suggested, .... be careful in you reasoning as to what is really "the content".

When you import/drag an audio file into Live it is contained in a "Clip". Every Clip in Live, even if it "contains" or "points to" the same audio file on your hard drive, is it's own proper "entity" from the moment it is created (even when you copy or split a clip, from that point onward the two clips are not the same clip anymore). Therefore, any changes you make to one clip, will not be reflected in any other clip in Live.

So, the clips you have in Session View are not the same clips that you have in Arrangement View (again even if they point to the same audio). If you change something in a clip in Session View (change the start position, shorted it's playback, loop it, warp, etc) it will not be changed in any clip in Arrangement View. In fact it will not be changed in any other clip anywhere in Live.

So in conclusion, if you think of "the content" as the clip and the audio it contains, then they are not the same across all of Live.

bobcharest

Post by bobcharest » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:22 pm

Thank you, Da Hand - That's my understanding... now! :-)

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:36 pm

bobcharest wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:22 pm
Thank you, Da Hand - That's my understanding... now! :-)

Best regards,
Bob Charest
Cool and my pleasure! :)