Noobie question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AlexanderEVW

Noobie question

Post by AlexanderEVW » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:54 pm

Hey,
I would like to connect my Yamaha P-140 through midi-out to the audio interface Steinberg UR22 MK2. The Steinberg UR22 MK2 will be connected to my computer with USB. Will the midi signal go through the usb-port to my computer? Or do I have to connect my computer to the audiointerface via midi?

Fanu

Re: Noobie question

Post by Fanu » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:16 pm

"Will the midi signal go through the usb-port to my computer?"

If your audio interface has a midi in, and you connect your Yamaha to that, the midi will be going to your computer, yes.
Make sure to enable that in Live's settings.

AlexanderEVW

Post by AlexanderEVW » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:19 pm

Fanu wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:16 pm

If your audio interface has a midi in, and you connect your Yamaha to that, the midi will be going to your computer, yes.
Thank you, yes it has a midi in. I was just asking because it has a midi out as well, so I was wondering if I had to connect my computer with the interface's midi out.

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:26 pm

AlexanderEVW wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:19 pm
Fanu wrote:

Thank you, yes it has a midi in. I was just asking because it has a midi out as well, so I was wondering if I had to connect my computer with the interface's midi out.
If you want to play a synthesizer using your computer (e.g., Live), a midi cable will go from the interface's midi out to the synth's midi in.
If your synth etc sends out midi, which you want to go to the computer, you connect synth's midi out to the interface's midi in.

AlexanderEVW

Post by AlexanderEVW » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:32 pm

Fanu wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:26 pm
AlexanderEVW wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:19 pm
Fanu wrote:

If you want to play a synthesizer using your computer (e.g., Live), a midi cable will go from the interface's midi out to the synth's midi in.
If your synth etc sends out midi, which you want to go to the computer, you connect synth's midi out to the interface's midi in.
Okay, I think I understand. Thank you for your help!