Help connecting Korg Volca FM

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
NayNay93

Help connecting Korg Volca FM

Post by NayNay93 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:46 pm

Hi guys

I have a Korg Volca FM, a USB midi cable, a Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD audio interface, and ableton (I also have an old Behringer U-Control UCA222 audio interface if that helps). How can I connect my Korg to my computer? I’m fairly new to all of this and am not great when it comes to equipment etc so a step by step guide on how to connect and get going would really be hugely appreciated. I saw a video where one dude mentioned a soundcard? Do I need to buy this? Another guy mentioned having an audio and midi interface in one device. I’d love to just be able to record the live loops that I’m playing on my Korg Volca FM straight into ableton is that possible? Many thanks guys have a great day

NayNay93

Re: Help connecting Korg Volca FM

Post by NayNay93 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:47 pm

Hey so I’ve connected a headphone jack cable to the ‘out’ section the plugged the Korg into my audio interface, but when recording I am only getting clicky feedback rather than any of the sound. Can anyone help?

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:31 am

All the pics I'm seeing show the headphone jack being the output.
The "OUT" in the "IN-Sync-OUT" pair is not audio output, it sends a sync signal.
♥♥♥

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:58 am

And be aware that the Volca FM has a stereo output, but both channels carry the same signal.
So maybe get a stereo to mono cable like this
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

NayNay93

Post by NayNay93 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:49 pm

Many thanks guys, I’ve used the headphone port to connect it to my audio interface and can now record audio! In terms of using the Korg for midi stuff how would you go about this? Cheers, much appreciated.

Edit: what exactly is the sync output used for? and what does the stereo output / acquiring the above mono cable allow you to do? Cheers

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:08 pm

Sync is used for linking other gear today (namely Korg's), keeping them all in time together all in 'Sync'
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:36 pm

Not 100% sure (don't own a Volca), but I think Sync sends/receives a audio click in regular intervals according to tempo/BPM, so devices can sync their tempo based on that.
♥♥♥

TLW

Post by TLW » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:51 pm

The stereo output is intended to let people use headphones (which are almost always stereo).

The synth actually ouputs in mono, so left and right outputs get fed the same signal. Which means it sounds like a mono signal.

Using an adaptor cable to convert the stereo socket into a mono plug means only one interface audio input is needed for the synth. It also means it can be recorded in mono which makes panning easier - on a stereo channel the pan control is actually a balance control which makes one side of the stereo louder than the other. On a mono channel going into a stereo bus (like Live’s master output) the pan control shifts the entire signal across the stereo field. Mono also makes it possible to e.g. add a delay to the track with it’s output panned to the same location in the stereo field as the synth’s audio.

Having said that there’s no huge disadvantage to tracking a Volca in stereo, but no real advantage either.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:07 am

the Volca FM outputs a stereo signal if chorus or Unison is switched on. I've used a trs mini jack to trs mini jack cable to connect it to a mono mixer input and got phase cancellation issues.

TLW

Post by TLW » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:25 am

The FM's effects are stereo? I never realised. Which means I've learned something today which is never a bad thing. Thanks.

Phase cancellation can be an issue with any kind of chorus, mono or stereo. Sometimes stereo chorus can sound quite different if the distance between the stereo speakers is changed. Once upon a time I used a two-amp guitar setup using a stereo chorus to split the guitar to the amps, one side "dry" the other "wet". Depending on how the chorus was set I could make the guitar almost disappear thanks to phase cancellation between the amps so had to be careful where I put them. In the end I decided one amp and a mono chorus was much less hassle for me and any sound engineer who might be trying to deal with it.

I think it's always a good idea to try how a stereo mix sounds if dropped to mono - you never know what someone else might listen to it on. Laptop/tablet speakers are pretty close together, some people only use one earbud and club systems are generally mono. So it's worth checking that nothing really important disappears or gets drastically unbalanced if the mix is converted to mono.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.