Any way to put a sequencer and vst instrument onto an audio track?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
orbita

Any way to put a sequencer and vst instrument onto an audio track?

Post by orbita » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:06 pm

Is there any way to put a max4live sequencer and a vsti into a rack on an audio track with a view to then being able to record the output back into that same channel? I don't need any external midi going to the sequencer or vst. Trying to avoid extra tracks for a live setup.

pottering

Re: Any way to put a sequencer and vst instrument onto an audio track?

Post by pottering » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:46 pm

Not possible without M4L.

May not be possible with M4L either, I think it may have a function that prevents a feedback loop (track feeding into itself).

Creating a feedback loop in a live setup doesn't seem safe to me.
♥♥♥

orbita

Re: Any way to put a sequencer and vst instrument onto an audio track?

Post by orbita » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:28 pm

I'm not sure how this generates a feedback loop and anyway that is possible in other ways - i've definitely done that before!

Also You can route another channel into a track (using a gate) and then record that or put an FX that generates sound and record that so it's not that different.

I just want to put an instrument (in my case a bunch of simplers) with sequencer feeding them notes onto an audio track and then choose either between audio clip on the track or the instrument playing. if the instrument is playing then I might want to record it back to the track. The tricky bit is getting the instrument onto the track since the FX rack doesnt allow instruments to be placed inside and you cant add either instrument or drum rack to an audio track.