First midi-keyboard/DAW-controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fex320

First midi-keyboard/DAW-controller

Post by fex320 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:20 pm

Hello All!

Which controller would you buy?
Korg Nanokey Studio or NI Komplete Kontrol M32?
I'm not talented, i'm not a producer. I just want to have fun with a basic controller. If i find the time i would like to learn some basics (how to play on piano). The Korg softwares for iOS look professional with a lot of options. I can even export my projects to Ableton...

Korg pros: Bluetooth, Kaoss-pad, Drum pad, i can use it with my iPad,(free lessons how to play on piano)
Korg cons: It comes almost with freeware/lite version softwares

M32 pros: better build quality, more keys, LCD display, dedicated buttons for DAWs (Ableton compatible)
M32 cons: lack of drum pads, Kaoss-pad, iOS compatibility???

I live in Austria, here both of the controllers cost around 115-120EUR.
I wanted to take the Nanokey Studio, because of the portability, but now I've found the M32. It seems more solid.
Thanks for the advices!

Mark Williams

Re: First midi-keyboard/DAW-controller

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:10 pm

You also get some nice software with NI M32. For me go for the M32
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:28 pm

Looking at the pros/cons, which ones are important to you?

I've never used drum pads much, so no pads is OK with me. But I'm not you. I don't use an iPad, do you? Etc.

The real reason to buy the M32 is you use a lot of Native Instruments plugins. All the NI controllers are focused on their plugins.

You do get a few bundled with the controller, but it has limited ability to control the native plugins in Live (so does the Korg for that matter).

The best inexpensive keyboard controllers for Live (in my opinion) are:

Novation Launchkey Mini, Launchkey 25

Akai APC Key 25

Both are designed from the ground up to control Live and nothing else.
Last edited by doghouse on Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fex320

Post by fex320 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:19 pm

That means i can not use the M32 for the basic instruments in Ableton or for different VSTs. It has only dedicated controls for PLAY/REC and some features only.
I had one AKAI APC mini before, those functions i don't need. If i want to play on drums, i can do it on the keyboard as well, so yes, the drum pads are not important.
I have an iPad, it is interesting because only the KORG software products. Bluetooth is not important. I have read it somewhere, someone could manage an iPad Pro with a M32 to work. Only an active USB C hub was needed.
After a lot of reviews, still the M32 seems the best option.
I'm still waiting for some personal experiences, advices.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:26 pm

Maybe someone here has an M32, it's only been out for about two months.

You should read the manual. It does have a fair amount of control for Live, see p.115.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:19 pm

fex320 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:19 pm
That means i can not use the M32 for the basic instruments in Ableton or for different VSTs. It has only dedicated controls for PLAY/REC and some features only.
I had one AKAI APC mini before, those functions i don't need. If i want to play on drums, i can do it on the keyboard as well, so yes, the drum pads are not important.
I have an iPad, it is interesting because only the KORG software products. Bluetooth is not important. I have read it somewhere, someone could manage an iPad Pro with a M32 to work. Only an active USB C hub was needed.
After a lot of reviews, still the M32 seems the best option.
I'm still waiting for some personal experiences, advices.
You can use the M32 for Live instruments. You can MIDI map the controls or create a user remote script BUT currently the M and A series controllers are in a "basic" format because NI like to release things in a "Beta" and unfinished state. There is no way to design a custom midi template so you are stuck with only 1 page of controls (a encoders). On the S series controllers you can create multiple templates with multiple pages which is handy to do more within Live. The ability to do this will be added to the M series, but NI are Sloooooow at doing things.

I have both an A series and S series MK1 keyboard. The M series is basically the A series with a shorter keybed.

For 3rd party VST you can simply create a control map if you aren't interested to browse your presets. I have developed NKS libraries for a lot of popular synths with detailed tagging and sound previews: https://freelancesoundlabs.com/nks

Like anything, it's not a perfect eco-system and NI aren't very pro active with user feedback (they are pretty much completely ignorant in this department really) but for the most part it works well with Live and a select few other DAWs. Outside the compatible list tho, I would recommend against it since there are far better options if you need it to be more flexible with other DAWs and devices.