suitability of Behringer FCB 1010 foot controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kebabman

suitability of Behringer FCB 1010 foot controller

Post by kebabman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:11 am

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere...

I'm in a duo with a drummer doing some space rock type stuff and I play guitar. I also have a novation launchkey, a launchpad mark 1 and a Yamaha hardware synth.

I'm looking at how to trigger 20 second synth wooshes, sweeps and effects that I have in Live 9. I can this withnthe launchpad but it requires me to stop playing guitar (not enough hands!)

Looking in to the range of foot controllers available, the Behringer FC1010 seems like it could be the answer to this.

However....there seems to be an issue with firmware chips needing updating as the unit can be unreliable/not work with Live.

This unit seems to have been around for 7 or 8 years. I can't work out if this is an issue with older models?

If I'm buying a new model in 2019 can I assume that this should have the new firmware chip in it? Do manufacturers tend to upgrade these things?

Sorry but I'm a bit behind the curve on firmware chips!

I don't want to do anything complicated with this - just trigger 1 or 2 samples at a time.

Many thanks
If I'm not there I'll cut my hair...

chris vine

Re: suitability of Behringer FCB 1010 foot controller

Post by chris vine » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:51 am

I used an FCB1010 for years with live and never had any firmware problems or problems with it running live.

There are some editing apps that make programming it a breeze. It's one of the least expensive foot controllers - it used to be very popular.

Search for midi foot controls on this forum, there are some more modern options available.

kebabman

Re: suitability of Behringer FCB 1010 foot controller

Post by kebabman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi Chris

Thanks for this -that's good to hear.

The FCB1010 has 10 pedals as well as the 2 expressions and it's cheap. Roland and Yamaha do controllers with this number of pedals but they're treble the price.

Thanks
If I'm not there I'll cut my hair...