Can't drag and drop

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fingerlelucky9

Can't drag and drop

Post by fingerlelucky9 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:46 pm

Hey, I've run into an issue. I can't drag or drop anything into Ableton 10 (10.0.6). Anytime I try, I just get a circle with a cross through it (the universal sign for no.) It's always been this way ever since i've upgraded from live 9 but it wasn't the end of the world. I was cool with just using the browser on the side. I actually prefer it, but i've been trying to drag and drop audio samples into different plugins and it won't let me do that either, unless I run them in stand alone outside of ableton, and before anyone asks, yes i've tried running ableton in administrator mode, but the problem still persists. I've actually been dealing with this issue for about a year now. I have tried finding help before and gave up. I found that if I "copy" and then "paste" the file then it works, but i can't drag and drop. However, I found that ableton won't link an audio sample to it's analyzed file if i copy and paste them in, so i have to manually type in their correct bpm which can be a pain for samples with time changes.

I'm running windows 10 pro (up-to-date) on the MSI GT73e vr Titan Pro.

If anyone could help me out i'd be thankful.

fingerlelucky9

Re: Can't drag and drop

Post by fingerlelucky9 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:29 am

Ok, I fixed it. I don't actually know what I did, but I went to programdata/ableton/live10suite/program and I right-clicked on the ableton live application, went to properties and in the settings I disabled both run as admin settings. HOWEVER this didn't actually work. I didn't know what else to do so in the same location, I ran the compatibility issue option, it did it's thing and asked me to open the program and i don't know what it did, but it was fixed so... yeah. If this happens to you, best of luck. It's a headache to fix.

Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:12 pm

I have the exact same problem did you figure out where's the issue

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:40 am

It's normally if Live is run as an administrator or launched via a system process, not directly by the user.

Check if Live has "run as admin" selected and deselect it. Worked in my case anyway when drag n drop is involved. Also, if you use other software to drag samples in from (I use Basehead as a sample and sound effects manager) you need to make sure that too is not set to administrator.

Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:08 pm

Do you have an instagram or facebook so you can try to help me

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:44 pm

Best to keep it on the forum so that others can also learn, plus I get a lot of PMs and emails from all over for people wanting personal assistance and as much as I like to assist, I'm not really "on call" for support especially since it takes time away from my work. Forums are my procrastination and "relaxing" time. Yes, I find solving problems relaxing :p

Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:19 pm

Ive seen poeple having problems with drag and dropping samples outside ableton browser but my problem is i actually cannot drag the samples that are already given in ableton, whenever i try to pull the sample its just that circle with a stripe across it and i cant find where is that dont run the app as a administrator, it says it should be in properties>advance but i cant find it there

Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:23 pm

Ok i found the dont run as administrator thing but it didnt help

Jordy0210

Post by Jordy0210 » Tue May 05, 2020 10:19 pm

Slow Loris wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:23 pm
Ok i found the dont run as administrator thing but it didnt help

hey buddy where u able to figure this out? i was havin trouble too but then i tried this:

find any sample within the ableton explorer. right click it and click "show in explorer" the windows folder should pop and now i am able to drag and drop any sample.

Rocky_hash

Post by Rocky_hash » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:00 pm

I was facing the same issue. Rename your file with the correct extension, in my case the license file was not having the .auz extension.
Go to Explorer in windows --> Views --> Check in 'File Name Extensions' and see the extension of your license, it should have .auz extesion at the end of the file name. Just rename your license file to something like 'abletonlicense.auz' and now try to drag and drop. It will work.

matt 93

Post by matt 93 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:47 am

Hey friends,

I was having this same issue. Usually means you downloaded a zip file. Extract all the files and you will be good to go

maxspark

Post by maxspark » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:06 am

Hey guys, new user her, running the trial version. So I have that drag and Drop problem even in the view with the things already in the view. So I made a DrumKit MIDI, a Bass and a Piano in session view, when I switch the view, I can copy and paste but not drag and drop, which is super counter-intuitive.

I tried all things mentioned above. Help would be really welcome for that is a problem that would maybe prevent me from upgrade from TRIAL if I can't fix it.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:51 pm

maxspark wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:06 am
Hey guys, new user her, running the trial version. So I have that drag and Drop problem even in the view with the things already in the view. So I made a DrumKit MIDI, a Bass and a Piano in session view, when I switch the view, I can copy and paste but not drag and drop, which is super counter-intuitive.

I tried all things mentioned above. Help would be really welcome for that is a problem that would maybe prevent me from upgrade from TRIAL if I can't fix it.
os???

cannot DnD from where to what? What does "switch the view" mean (switching to Arrangement view)?

Remember, wwe are not looking at what you see so you need to describe things as if we are blind especially if you do not have the correct terminology for things yet.

Oursoul

Post by Oursoul » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:53 pm

I know this is a bit old, but i've been having the same problem today and worked it out. Not only could i not drag and drop files from explorer into ableton, i couldn't even drag and drop from within Ableton itself i.e. move clips around.

If you're on Windows 10, check and see if you can drag and drop files in a normal file explorer window. If not, you'll be having the same issue as i was.

You need to open task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC), click on the Details tab and scroll through the processes until you find explorer.exe

Right-click and end process (yes you are sure)

Then press win+r to open a Run dialog, and type explorer.exe

This will run a fresh instance of explorer, and you should be able to drag and drop again. You might need to restart ableton to see the effect there.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:27 pm

Oursoul wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:53 pm
I know this is a bit old, but i've been having the same problem today and worked it out. Not only could i not drag and drop files from explorer into ableton, i couldn't even drag and drop from within Ableton itself i.e. move clips around.

If you're on Windows 10, check and see if you can drag and drop files in a normal file explorer window. If not, you'll be having the same issue as i was.

You need to open task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC), click on the Details tab and scroll through the processes until you find explorer.exe

Right-click and end process (yes you are sure)

Then press win+r to open a Run dialog, and type explorer.exe

This will run a fresh instance of explorer, and you should be able to drag and drop again. You might need to restart ableton to see the effect there.
Sounds like a user permission issue such as administrator/user privilege. Killing the OS launched explorer instance and launching it again as a user will likely cause the explorer instance to now inherit your own privilege so things will now work under you. If this is the case then it's probably an issue of lack of admin/elevated privilege on your account I would guess. Will also happen between applications if one is Admin and another is User which is why you should not launch Ableton as Admin if possible