Can't drag and drop

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sanctified

Re: Can't drag and drop

Post by sanctified » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:30 pm

Hey -- just wanted to confirm that when explorer.exe crashes or hangs this behavior will occur. The steps listed to restart explorer will resolve the issue.

Oursoul

Post by Oursoul » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:25 pm

[/quote]
Sounds like a user permission issue such as administrator/user privilege. Killing the OS launched explorer instance and launching it again as a user will likely cause the explorer instance to now inherit your own privilege so things will now work under you. If this is the case then it's probably an issue of lack of admin/elevated privilege on your account I would guess. Will also happen between applications if one is Admin and another is User which is why you should not launch Ableton as Admin if possible
[/quote]

Thanks, that's interesting - i do really struggle with profiles in Windows 10, i'm fairly sure my account is set up as administrator but then some things are inaccessible sometimes, it doesn't feel like being an admin in the xp/7 days where everything just worked :(

Aside from that, i also found the method for dragging and dropping within ableton is very specific, i.e. press and hold CTRL, THEN click the thing you want to copy/move and drag it where you want, let go THEN let go of CTRL. I'm sure it didn't used to be that way, like you could press CTRL after you'd started dragging a clip to copy it - maybe i'm imagining that but it seems unlikely, it's never annoyed me before anyway!

I know it's a bit off-topic but if you can recommend any resources to learn and understand windows 10 profiles please enlighten me, as at the moment i'm feeling more stupid than normal...

smoothsailingmusic

Post by smoothsailingmusic » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:40 am

totally experiencing this on live 11 mac osx big sur right now.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:08 pm

Check security preferences for Live in your system settings and make sure it is set as allowed to access whatever preferences it is listed in. From experience, try uncheck all the preference options, close preferences then re-open and check them all again.

If DnD is not working between one application and another or between application and OS then it is usually a security preference of the OS