Any work around to clearing MIDI clips

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The_Subject

Any work around to clearing MIDI clips

Post by The_Subject » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:03 pm

Hi all, any help would be really appreciated.

I am trying to have a midi clip which I can play into, and also wipe clear of midi notes at the press of a button.

It has automation and is set to being 1/8th note, so just delete+create new, won't give me what I want, on the fly.

Can't use keyboard and mouse - live and all!

I have googled for creating a template midi clip, ie, create new and it defaults my new clip with set size and automation, as one would a new word template say. Nothing.

I've tried using third party things like BOME MIDI Translator, seems great, but I can only assign the "delete" button, so still have to select the loop brace manually otherwise I start deleting clips, rather than input midi notes.

I've tried overdubbing (tried this first really!) - which would work if I could overdub a rest, but I cannot seem to be able to (?!?!?!). A note, say C1, will only be replaced by another C1, so unless I can find a MIDI Note length gate to say "okay, that was less than a 32nd note going in, we'll call that nothing" type thing, then it's useless, once a note is played it can only be replaced by a repeat of itself, essentially.
To expand on the overdubbing, I'm using the "note" section of my launchpad pro, which does not seem to be velocity sensitive, otherwise I'd have "soft tap" and "hard tap" or whatever and a chain to separate them into on a rest and a note...

Running out of ideas. Any workarounds people know of?

Details - ableton 10, windows 10, novation lp pro....er Novation Audiohub2x4 but don't think this is too relevant....

Hope to hear back....