Ableton problems sending program change on ch 11, 13

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stefanpotiau

Ableton problems sending program change on ch 11, 13

Post by stefanpotiau » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:06 am

Hi,

I have some projects where in arrangement view I play short midi clips with MSB/LSB and program change info to select te correct sound on my hardware synth. I’m doing that succesfully during our shows for over a year now on midi channel 2.
For my new setup, channel 1-10 are occupied so I wanted to use channel 11 and 13. But this does not work properly. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. I thought it was a broken cable, midi interface, synth,... So I tried it on a completely independent setup (different computer, cables, interface, synth) and it has the exact same problem. So it seems to be an Ableton problem? Anyone got an idea?

Thanks,
Stef

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Ableton problems sending program change on ch 11, 13

Post by [jur] » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:43 am

Weird. Never heard of this.
If you're sure that you are not doing anything wrong, then you should get in touch with support@ableton.com
Ableton Forum Moderator

TLW

Post by TLW » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:58 pm

I've just run a test sending bank and program changes from Live 10.0.6 on all 16 channels to external hardware and a vst synth and everything seems to be working as expected. MIDI CCs seem fine on all channels as well.

I vaguely remember Live 8 seemed to have problems with MSB/LSB and 14 bit MIDI but so far 10's been solid for me where MIDI is concerned.

It might help to get an answer to your problem or confirmation there's something strange going on if you say which version of Live you're using and whether Windows or Mac.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon May 06, 2019 1:16 am

Any news about your issue Stefanpotiau?
Ableton Forum Moderator

stefanpotiau

Post by stefanpotiau » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:15 am

I completely lost this discussion out of sight, excuse me. I did a workaround so I could use channel 4, and that worked.

We are 6 moths later now, and I gave it a try again, but still no luck. I am on a newer version now, Live 10.1.1 on Mac. The keyboard I am transmitting to is a Yamaha Montage which is also on the latest firmware. It could be the keyboard as well :?