Latency & Quantization

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dusty4444

Latency & Quantization

Post by dusty4444 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:27 pm

Hello,

I am kind of a noob or so but I have been producing music for along time.So I have two questions

So when recording from a MPK 249 to Live 10 how come when I do finger drumming it doesn't fall in line with the Grid ? Is this because of Latency , or am I that slow and off beat ? How do I make sure that my latency is working at peak performance? I want to make sure that all my major kicks fall on the main grid lines

2.) So from a producers standpoint can you make a drum track that is kind of off beat ? Like I like the Organic sound of just making drum tracks up but it seems rather hard to work with as they fall in between grid lines etc .If I hit Quanitze i feel like it basically just changes my whole sound I made. Maybe I am using the wrong Quantization setting but I want to be able to make original sequenced drums but also have them fall within the grid lines. IF that makes sense .

Mark Williams

Re: Latency & Quantization

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:48 pm

Without any system details, very hard to give an answer, but you should aim to get latency down to 10ms or less, which to most is acceptable.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P