Clear all envelopes - MIDI - bug?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jbone1313

Clear all envelopes - MIDI - bug?

Post by jbone1313 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:27 am

Hi,

I am seeing some weird behavior, and I am wondering if someone can help.

Here is the scenario:

I record some MIDI automation into a session clip.
Then, I right click on the clip and do a "Clear All Envelopes."
When I play the clip again, it forces the parameter in the target synth to zero.

If I have cleared the envelope, then I would expect Ableton to not send any value. But, instead, when the envelope is cleared, Ableton is sending zero.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Is this a bug?

If I create a new project with a new clip, this does not happen.

Many thanks!

jbone1313

Re: Clear all envelopes - MIDI - bug?

Post by jbone1313 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:36 pm

I found a way to work around this, and while I do believe this is a bug, I think it only occurs under some obscure conditions. Therefore, I will not be worried about it, unless it pops up again.

For posterity:

I was using a drum rack to send MIDI to my Roland TR-8S. In that same drum rack, I had 6 extra chains: one for each assignable output of the TR-8S. To monitor the audio of the TR-8S, I placed an External Audio Effect on each chain.

After a lot of trial, error, and process of elimination, I realized that something was happening in those chains, which was "causing" the problem.

I switched the External Audio Effect devices to External Instrument Devices with the MIDI Out going to the TR-8S and the channel set to "No Output." After doing that, it all works as expected.

So, for some reason, using External Audio Effect devices instead of External Instrument devices was causing some weird stuff to happen with the MIDI clip automation.

MPrinsen

Post by MPrinsen » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:18 pm

I have experiences the same thing. It also doesn’t happen every time, can’t really find out under what circumstances it happens..

What helps in my case is to save the project and then load it again. This also implies that it is a bug, since it cannot be saved/recalled.

This is a big workflow killer sometimes, but at least there is a workaround.

Would be great if Ableton will fix this...

MPrinsen

Post by MPrinsen » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:22 pm

Btw I also use a drum rack to send midi to and receive audio (through external effect devices) from individual channels of my TR-8S.

But the problem also (and mainly) happens with other hardware synths, with a regular external instrument device... so not sure if that has anything to do with the TR-8S routing... but will see if it helps to delete the whole drum rack whenever the problem happens again.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:04 am

MPrinsen wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:18 pm
Did you report to support@ableton.com ?
Ableton Forum Moderator

MPrinsen

Post by MPrinsen » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:31 pm

[jur] wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:04 am
MPrinsen wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:18 pm
Did you report to support@ableton.com ?
Yes, but they want a project file of the track when it happens. But when you load the project again, the problem is gone..