How to remove a single effect from an mp3 track?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Phonbix

How to remove a single effect from an mp3 track?

Post by Phonbix » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:36 am

Hey I'm new to ableton and I'm trying to do a vocal remix of Arbiters Theme - G Jones (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6qDfH4KIDQ). I'm wondering if theres a way that I could remove the synthesized voice at the start of the track than hooks back. Is there a way to do this without losing any of the other sounds?

Phonbix

Re: How to remove a single effect from an mp3 track?

Post by Phonbix » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:48 pm

Nothing? come on guys I'd really appreciate some insight on this! :/

siehorst

Post by siehorst » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Nothing?
Maybe because of: not possible?!

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:28 am

Just like you mix together ingredients to bake a cake, the ingredients of a song are mixed together and then "baked" when rendered as a stereo file. Once your cake or song is baked, removing ingredients from this can lead to various results. Some elements are easier to take out than others -

In a cake, for example, fruit lying on top of the cake is easy to just take off. Raisins in the dough will take more digging to take out. You can take them out, but the end result of the cake might not be so pretty. Removing the butter from the dough will be pretty much impossible.

So it's the same thing with an audio mix. How much of the sound you want to take out is buried in the mix will then determine the results. If the sound is playing alone at the moments you want to take it out, then there is no problem. If there are a few other sounds playing at the same time, then it will be harder, but some creative EQ and cutting might be used to filter it out - to an extent.

How much cutting and filtering needs to be done depends on what you need to do after: i.e. how much will the new sound you want to insert hide those imperfections left over from the old sound. Or what way can you make the new sound mask those imperfections. This is where bootleg remixing creativity comes into play.

Some sounds, like the cake butter, will simply be impossible to remove in a satisfactory manner.

Note:

If you happen to have an exact copy of the sound you want to cut out in isolation as a solo track, then there exists a trick to remove a sound from a mix (like a vocal) entirely without imperfections (again, only if you have an exact copy of that sound in isolation as a solo track).

For example, if you had the exact same voice of your example track as an "a cappella", then you could invert the phase of that vocal "a cappella" while playing the original song (with the original voice) on another track. The result of the out-of-phase "a cappella" playing at the same time as the in-phase vocal with the rest of the mix, would result in the vocal disappearing entirely.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:07 pm

Da hand wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:28 am
Just like you mix together ingredients to bake a cake, the ingredients of a song are mixed together and then "baked" when rendered as a stereo file. Once your cake or song is baked, removing ingredients from this can lead to various results. Some elements are easier to take out than others -

In a cake, for example, fruit lying on top of the cake is easy to just take off. Raisins in the dough will take more digging to take out. You can take them out, but the end result of the cake might not be so pretty. Removing the butter from the dough will be pretty much impossible.

So it's the same thing with an audio mix. How much of the sound you want to take out is buried in the mix will then determine the results. If the sound is playing alone at the moments you want to take it out, then there is no problem. If there are a few other sounds playing at the same time, then it will be harder, but some creative EQ and cutting might be used to filter it out - to an extent.

How much cutting and filtering needs to be done depends on what you need to do after: i.e. how much will the new sound you want to insert hide those imperfections left over from the old sound. Or what way can you make the new sound mask those imperfections. This is where bootleg remixing creativity comes into play.

Some sounds, like the cake butter, will simply be impossible to remove in a satisfactory manner.

Note:

If you happen to have an exact copy of the sound you want to cut out in isolation as a solo track, then there exists a trick to remove a sound from a mix (like a vocal) entirely without imperfections (again, only if you have an exact copy of that sound in isolation as a solo track).

For example, if you had the exact same voice of your example track as an "a cappella", then you could invert the phase of that vocal "a cappella" while playing the original song (with the original voice) on another track. The result of the out-of-phase "a cappella" playing at the same time as the in-phase vocal with the rest of the mix, would result in the vocal disappearing entirely.
Superb!!

Cheers
D